My First Sock!

I’ve actually had lots of socks in my lifetime but this is the first one I’ve ever knitted. I’m so proud of it! Can’t wait to make a second one so I can wear them.

Does it look halfway right?

The lady at the knitting shop not too far from me told me that I would never figure out how to do the heel by myself. Well, she wasn’t completely correct. Susan had sent me a site that has little video clips so I was able to watch the video and figure out how to do the heel and the gusset and then how to do the kitchener stitch at the end.

I’m not going to miss my stash at all while it’s packed away .. I’ve purchased yarn to make several pairs of socks and I want some of the Alpaca yarn but I wanted to be sure I could figure this out.

Off to start the second sock before I let myself get sidetracked and start a whole new project!

Judy L.

Comments

Karen says

Judy, it looks great! And thanks for the link, I’ve got it all bookmarked and I’m going to start here just about anyday!

karen

Darcie says

It certainly does look like a sock, Judy! Good for you! Ah…another delightful addiction!

Have a gorgeous October Sunday!

Anonymous says

Nice looking sock. I like to knit socks, they are so much fun. I have several pair i hav knit. Life goes like that, we put aside on interest and take up another. Your stash will be there when you get a chance to get back to it. Dot

Carolyn says

Great sock, Judy! Is that made with the self-patterning yarn? I think that is the coolest thing. Almost makes me want to pick up knitting needles and learn how to make socks…too bad we can’t quilt them, huh? :o)

Dianne says

Haven’t made socks in years…thanks for the inspiration, Judy. Yours is really great. Love the yarm…

cher says

hurray for you tackling knitting socks! it’s on my learning list, once I finish a bag I have started…I still am in shock over how much fabric you packed from your stash…wow.

Emma says

It definitely looks like a sock. Great result for your first time. It’s so addictive you’ll be making more in no time.

Cathi says

Great Sock! I’ve been contemplating doing socks since I started seeing them on all the knitting blogs I visited! I bought a kit to make some last week.

I found http://www.knittinghelp.com a good place to watch videos for different increases, etc I hadn’t done before. Will check out your link too!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter says

WOW – love your sock! Way to go, Judy! I’ve been resisting the urge to learn how to knit. I don’t need yet another addiction. LOL

Susan says

Looks good to me! You could wear it alone – just to keep it warm. =)

I’ve missed so much – have to go back and see why your stash is packed.

Carol says

Wonderful sock! That yarn is great…blue and brown, my favorites. Glad you are having so much fun. Sounds very addicting!

Tazzie says

It looks great, and you’ve managed to fit it in while it’s still Socktoberfest!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    🙂

Sheila says

WOW… you did a great job and give me hope that I can do it without a $40 class too. LOL Thanks for the video link! I just love the self-striping yarns these days. What kind did you use?

Ruth says

Great looking sock! I’m yet to make one of my own, but the day is coming. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

The Calico Cat says

Neat! You better make that second sock – or you will start out with a sock orphan, instead of letting your washing machine eat one!

Patty says

Judy, you did a great job, just make sure you have shoes to wear that show the socks off ! I am very proud of you

Debra Spincic says

My mom is a great sock knitter. She told me once that knitters have a tendency to knit one sock and then want to try another pattern. Then, they end up with a bunch of one socks per pair so Be Careful!!

soccertxi says

Nice job on your 1st sock! Maybe I should try a pair. I have been knitting on a sweater for about 2 yrs. I tend to try something BIG 1st and then try the small stuff later. Just think of opening all that packed fabric when you move. It will feel like Christmas!

Anonymous says

Well done! I’ve wanted to knit socks for a long time – I love neat socks! It looks just like it’s supposed to look I’m sure.

Patti

Cindy B says

Looks good to me. I’ve tried to knit socks but could never get the heel right so now I crochet tube socks!

Beth says

Looks like a sock to me, great job. They are fun once you get the hang of them. I do mine on two circular needles, I have never been able to use the double pointed needles, feels like you’re knitting with a porcupine! Oh, and I have to have complete quiet and concentration when I Kitchener the toes!

Suze says

That is a fine sock….. You should be proud. And the Kitchener stitch even. I still have to read the directions everytime I do that one. There is something delightful about hand knit socks….

Tracey says

Well, look at you!! The talent just keeps on comin’, now doesn’t it? I’ve never attempted knitting socks..just stuck with the easy scarves and a couple shawls. You have really done a fabulous job, Judy! Good for you!

Anonymous says

Once you start making funky socks, you’ll find that you love to wear them too…they make you feel good, for some strange reason that I can’t explain. You also get people coming up to you at the arena saying, “nice socks”!!!

Nina In Norway says

I will just get in line with the others and say It looks great! Keep up. I know you made the other one as well. Good job. Keep up.