Mom’s Yard and Quilts

I took this picture hoping to get a good picture of my quilting but then when I saw how pretty the back yard is, I didn’t want to crop it all out so it’s a not so good picture of my quilt but the background reminds me of how tropical it is here. The banana plant on the right side produces lots of bananas!

Mom has such a green thumb. There are plants like this everywhere. They survive from year to year — no telling how old these plants are. If I took one of them home with me, they’d be dead before dark!

Mom loves making sampler type quilts. Last year, she decided to make four different samplers, all using the same blocks but with different fabrics. When she makes one block, she makes four (all hand pieced!). So far, she has 6 blocks made for each of the four color combinations. She started out anting to make 20 blocks for each quilt but I think she’s decided 12 will do. If so, she’s halfway done.

Last quilt for today’s show & tell is her clamshells. As with almost all her quilts, it’s all hand pieced and hand quilted.

Just so you don’t all think all I’ve done is eat since I got here, I did finish the binding on the last Quilt for an Hour quilt and . . here it is, a closer picture of the quilt and a picture of the backing that I love. It’s all finished except for the label, which I didn’t bring so it will get the label after I get home.

Comments

Elaine Adair says

Aren’t you lucky to have absorbed your Mom’s gift and love of fabric. OK, not everyone can absorb ALL of our Mom’s gifts – the green thumb part.

I definitely am going to begin to start to think about to plan try to get to making that quilt. Charming!

Quilting Pirate says

I just have to say, I love your pictures. Your mom have very inspirational quilts!

Vicki W says

Your Mom’s clamshell quilt is AWESOME! I love the quilting that you did on your QFAH quilt.

DubiQuilts - Debbi says

Not only does your Mom and a great green thumb but she has great hands for quilting.

Love both Mom’s and your quilts!!!

Yvonne says

Wow….gorgeous yard, beautiful quilts. It’s really nice to share in your visit with your mom and dad.

Tazzie says

Wow! I love that clamshell quilt, I’ve never seen one quite like that before, it’s amazing!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    🙂

Patty says

What a talented family you are !
    Hope all is well and glad I found some time to check out what was happening in your life.
    I have been busy spoiling the grand baby !

meggie says

Oh Judy, I love reading your posts & seeing your lovely quilts. I love your mother’s Clam Shells, very well done!!!
    I also love her blocks you have pictured.
    You are both wonderful quilters!

Tanya says

Wow! I really love your mother’s Clam Shell quilt! I tried to make a BLOCK years ago and gave up. Just too hard to line up all those shells and sew them down! And the colors. Just beautiful!

Sue in Iowa says

I think those filler blocks with the nine patches is the greatest – what size are they? I will have to see if I can figure out the pattern. You just can’t go wrong with nine patches!

Sue in Iowa

Vicky says

My very first impression when I go home is how green and lush everthing is. Oh, it’s green out here, but irrigated and over manicured.

Your Mom’s quilts are phenominal! Like Mother, like Daughter! 🙂

Shelina says

How wonderful that your mother is a quilter as well. I really like her clamshells and the string quilt is coming along nicely. Your posies quilt looks wonderful – my blocks are still waiting for me to size the setting I have planned for it. Your hour a day quilt looks wonderful too, especially in the beautiful back yard.

Susan says

Beautiful back yard! Do bananas taste different when you pick them off the tree? =) Love the quilting on your quilt. Looking forward to the next one, but making some more blocks for another one like this!

Pieces From Me says

I am in awe of your mother!!!! What a wonderful gift to have passed down to you. I pray my daughter carries on the sewing gene.

deputyswife says

The quilts are beautiful! Your mom reminds me of my grandma. She hand pieced and quilted all of her quilts. My mother machined pieced and had quilted her quilts. I machine piece and machine quilt! Funny how it evolves! And they both scoffed at my strip quilting methods! lol!

Linda says

Judy, I love your Mom’s clamshell quilt. I have had one in the back of my mind for years…ever since I spent and autumn vacation in the colorful, rolling hills of southwest PA.