Wavy Borders

As a longarm quilter, the thing I hate most are wavy borders. I never understand why people don’t take a bit of extra time, measure the borders, pin them and make them fit correctly instead of just slapping the strips down, sewing and hoping for the best.

Well . . guess what I did? When I was at mom’s I was working on the Quilt for an Hour top for July. It has several borders. I didn’t take my BIG cutting board and I was sewing on a Featherweight on a plastic folding table. Let’s see .. are there any more excuses I can give for my lack of diligence in applying my borders correctly?

Today I found a fabric in my stash that I could use for the backing, got that loaded. Began loading the top and wait just a minute! These borders aren’t right. They were worse than not right . . they were awful. I’ve just spent the last 5 (FIVE!) hours removing borders, measuring and re-attaching borders. I cut over 3″ off the outer border. What a mess!

They’re all fixed now and I’ll get it quilted tomorrow and post a picture of it for you all to see.

Judy L.

Comments

Vicky says

I did the same thing – once! I got two of the borders on doing it the bad way, and had a change of heart. Even though it was a charity quilt, I didn’t feel right about it. I’m glad now I redid it, and that taught me a valuable lesson early on.

Can’t wait to see it!!

Shelina says

Some things look easier than they really are. You would think you could get away with sewing a straignt line joining long piece of cloth onto another piece of cloth, but that measuring can be fiddly. I believed your excuses and forgive you. 🙂

Suzanne Earley says

Of all the people I have quilted for, I find that *I* can sometimes be the most obnoxious when it comes to following the rules about borders….I feel your pain! LOL!

Norma says

I loved this post! Truer words were never spoken! As a long arm quilter, my biggest beef is wavy borders. I think we all have made the same mistake–even if we know better! *VBS*

Joanne says

I can’t wait to see it — I have a dozen projects now and I can’t wait to add another! Summer heat must be getting to me!

Elaine Adair says

You cut of THREE inches? Good grief! Never would I believe that much could be ‘slapped’ on! There’s a lesson for us all to MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE! What a disagreeable job you had to do, but glad you finished it off correctly.

Stay cool.

Pieces From Me says

Oh I agree about the extra steps when putting on borders. I think it is a lesson you need only learn once! You however did have plenty of logical excuses, but had the choice…redo it or put those excuses on the label!

Susan says

5 hours??? Wow. I’m just guessing you will figure out something else next time. =)

atet says

Wow — I hate having to rip out and re-do, but there are times when there is just no other choice!