Quilt Labels

Edit:

Maybe the one above is better.

I’m really terrible with making labels. This is the one I made for my friend’s quilt. Does it look funny? I just showed it to Vince and he thinks it looks . . at first he said “dorky”; then he said “girly”. Maybe I’ll just use a label off one of those pre-printed panels. My luck I have Baby and Christmas labels!

Notice I didn’t even give this poor quilt a name. I so badly hate coming up with names for quilts.

I know I have some already treated fabric here but can’t find it so I’m hoping that I have and can find the Bubble Jet Set. My intention was to put the label on and then quilt through it but that’s not going to happen.

Some days nothing goes according to the plans. Ever have one of those days? Yes, I know . . we all do. At least I didn’t buy fabric! šŸ™‚

E-mail Me!

Comments

Tracey in CT says

The label looks very nice to me.
    Usually I just use a pigma pen and a piece of muslin and write the name of the quilt, who it is for, my name, town and the date. When I get ‘fancy’ I use one of those preprinted labels from a panel.

And yes, I know how those days are…today my iron and my sewing machine have been consipiring against me. At least you resisted buying fabric, I wasn’t that good!

Carla says

Dear Judy, Please don’t take offense, as I am only offering my opinion about your label. While I know you have done a beautiful job creating it, all I can “see” when I look at it is a coffin and the flowers look kind of like of person in it to me. Perhaps it’s because I have recently been to a funeral, but I felt like I had to tell you. I know when I ask opinions of people, I truly WANT their opinion, good or bad. I Do want to tell you how much I LOVE your blog, though! Thanks for all you do!

Deb says

Labels are hard. I have an embroidered one that I always use. I just change the name of the quilt and the date.

I think your label is just fine!

Mary says

Yikes, I was going to say I liked the first one you did best but then I read Carla’s comment so maybe you shouldn’t use that one.

Nana's Quilts says

I prefer the first rose label. The second one could be seen as funerial – not what you intend, no doubt. I’m just sticking close to home, nursing my cold and communing with my sewing machine. I’m safer that way! šŸ™‚
    Marne

mamaspark says

I like to take an element from the fabric I used and fuse it to a created label and blanket stitch around it and then write with a Pigma pen. I usually make several of the blank labels ahead of time to save for later when I need them. I use scrap either wow or something light, sew rst, turn, press and then add the applique. I don’t even sew the open part closed as that happens when I sew it to the quilt.

Carla says

Judy, I think the one on top with just the roses is excellent — very elegant looking. I think it would be beautiful on any quilt.

Vicky says

I like the top one, too. It’s just plain beautiful!

I’ve had many of those days. But tomorrow is another day! (Hugs)

kathysews says

I love the one on top. If this is for the pink quilt, the quilt is girly too! And I also go with the muslin with a fine sharpie for written details, put another square of muslin on top, stitch around, slit the back and turn..sometimes it gets a big running stitch if I’m in a hurry otherwise slipstitched. Finished is better than perfect.

meggie says

I liked the top one best, but that is just me.

I quite often piece labels, but that can be time consuming. I do have preprinted, for not so personal quilt gifts or some I sell.

Sorry you had a soso day.

Susan says

Okay, swimming against the stream, as always, I like the candy box one. =) The rose is okay, but it seems kind of blah to me.

dee says

Judy, I love the second one. It is girly but really lovely. I don’t think it looks like a coffin. It looks like an old-fashioned box of roses. I do what Tracey does. Pigma pen on heavily starched muslin or freezer paper backed muslin. If I could make them like this I’d use the ones you made. Very Pretty.

Anonymous says

My immediate reaction was: I hope that’s not for Pinky, because it looks like a coffin to me. Go with the first one. [I read blogs on Google Reader, so I don’t see any comments unless and until I come to the web page to comment myself.]

My favorite way of making a label is in MS Word, using a picture of the quilt as the “watermark” backdrop for the written particulars.

Sheila in Ohio

Anonymous says

I guess I should edit my previous comment: I see the single rose as the first one; maybe you published earlier with the box of roses first.
    Sheila

Tracy says

I first thought the first one was really cool, but I can see what the others are saying.

I order labels from a woman I found on e-bay, she embroiders 4 lines for me in a color that compliments the quilt. I usually put who it is for, from, the date, and a verse. I don’t always name them.

I like the embroidery because I know it will be there in the future. My Great-Grandmother made amazing quilts and now they are a source of strife between her many grandchildren. Some people have a couple and others have none. I know she would have never wanted her beautiful work to cause conflict.

I am excited my Mom is getting and embroidery machine so I have a new and free source for labels. šŸ™‚

Mrs. Goodneedle says

Have you ever tried the Printed Treasures fabric sheets and run them through your printer? I have used them for labels with great success. I think both of the choices pictured are very nice, labels can be such a source of consternation when one is so very close to being DONE! arrgghh

Karen (Misiz C) says

I’m with you….I’m usually lax in adding a label. I’m trying something new right now. I’ve put all the supplies to make labels in one plastic container. I’m hoping the convenience factor will help in the motivation dept. =P I’ve also noticed several quilters who stitch 1-2 sides of their labels in when applying the binding. That’s appealing to me…a bit more permanent.

I do like your label with just the two roses. I tend to go with simple designs.

Hang in there….the good thing about rough days is the next one is usually an improvement. šŸ˜‰

Suze says

I like the one on top with just the roses. I am agog that you are so close to being done with this.

Remember, I still have two labels to attach that are 4 years old.

Shelina says

I think both the labels are pretty and you should use them. I like how the words look dimensional on the box of flowers. Both are much better than my scratching a name on some muslin.