This past week was a busy one in my quilting room. First, I’ll tell you – I ordered some background fabrics. After making a few quilts, I realized I am going to run out of background fabrics and the more background fabrics I have, the more scrappy I can make my backgrounds. I don’t feel bad about what I ordered and I didn’t get anything except backgrounds so .. that’s my story!
I’ve already mentioned that when Mom and Dad arrived, she had two quilts she wanted me to quilt. She was prepared to leave them here and let me mail them back to her but I preferred to get them done and send them home with her. The only fly in the ointment was that I had just loaded my poinsettia quilt and I wasn’t about to take it off the machine so I had to quilt it first. So, I hurriedly quilted my poinsettia quilt, then did Mom’s two. Here’s the poinsettia quilt with the binding on, just waiting for the handwork to be done.
Mary showed some practice feathers she had done. I had just loaded this quilt yesterday and planned to do some free motion feathers on it. I get in a rut and right now, I’m in a panto rut. I’ve done free motion all over feathers before but felt they were too thready. My friend, Jeanne in KC, showed me some she had made and hers weren’t all thready like mine were, and Mary’s didn’t look all thready either so I tried it again and I think it turned out pretty good. I did a good part of this quilt while on the phone holding for Best Buy Customer Service an I could’ve done a better job if I’d been paying full attention to my quilting. Deb mentioned new lighting she’s getting over her longarm so I was grumbling the whole time I was quilting about my bad lighting. I know . . I want everything! I kept thinking that if/when I get the new room, I’ll have better lighting installed and now there’s a chance I may not even fix up and take that room but that’s a story for another day. 🙁
And, here’s a closeup shot of the feathers. This little quilt is 76″ x 86″. I couldn’t remember why I had started it or when I had made it but my friend, Sally, reminded me that several years ago she was making a tree skirt and was trying to make it bigger. In my effort to explain to her how to make it bigger, I just made a whole quilt top. Thankfully, when I finished the top I also made the binding so the binding is now on this quilt, waiting for the handwork to be done.
Chad found this lamp this week that he just couldn’t live without. Not something I would have fallen in love with but the more I see it, the more I like it. He says it’s something I can take with me when I leave and I’m thinking . . . maybe not!
He put it in his room and then decided I need to make him a new quilt for his bed to match the lamp. He’s right! The quilt on his bed is one Mom made for him when he was probably 5 or 6 years old (that’s 15 or 14 years ago!). She used Wal-Mart fabric, muslin backing and this quilt has been washed many, many times. Notice the hole in the sashing and the binding is completely worn. Chad could have any quilt in this house but he has only wanted this one that Mom made. I will definitely make him a quilt to match his new lamp.
- I bought background fabrics
- I quilted a quilt that had been made totally from the stash (poinsettia)
- I quilted a top from the UFO pile, using stash fabric for the backing (the blue one shown above)
- I did some work on a UFO – a pink and gray Topsy Turvy Nine Patch.