Day #1

This morning I flipped my desk calendar over to a new month, a new year, and it hit me! 2008 is here. This is the year I’ve told the blog world (as if everyone on the blog world reads MY blog!) that I’m going to reduce my stash. There’s something about telling everyone you’re going to do something that makes me either want to make darned sure I do it or . . go back to bed and sleep til January 1, 2009.

I live by lists and spreadsheets. Because I use two computers, I can easily confuse myself with the document I need being on the laptop when I’m working on the desktop. I set up these spreadsheets on google to keep track of the fabric I buy and the fabric I use and I can simply sign on to my google account and access these documents from anywhere I might happen to be.

There’s something about keeping a list and telling everyone that helps keep me on track. So . . here you see it .. January 1 .. a nice, clean slate — nothing used, nothing added. Maybe I’ll post copies of my spreadsheets on the first of each month.

Anyone have any tips you’d like to share with us all on how you’re going to bust your stash?

E-mail Me!

Comments

Marcie says

Happy New Year Judy! Thanks for sharing all your good ideas. I am hoping to burn up stored fabric as well as stored fat this year! LOL! I will have to get my kicks from creativity!

Vicky says

I’m convinced that there are only two ways to bust stash: Either sew faster or give it away!

Looking forward to a lot of sewing this year with you, Judy! It’s going to be a good one!

Sally says

I’m doin some hand holding and getting busy (again) this year. At the end of ’07 I’m actually seeing a dent in my fabric gluttony. I’m going to continue using it up or giving it away.
    I’m joining in on the Fabric Diet 2008.
    Happy New Year, Judy. Thank you for being so encouraging and inspirational to so many.
    Sally

Ms. Jan says

Happy New Year Judy!

I’ve been sorting and organizing and I really do need to get rid of some of this fabric that I’ll never use. I love the Google documents, and because I’m on 2 computers, I think I ‘ll use that instead of Excel. What a great idea–thanks for sharing it (and all the other good stuff you share all the time!)

jan

Jodyrose says

Happy 2008 Judy, thanks for sharing your ideas! So where do you store those Google spreadsheets? What a great tool. I think I will do the same and add one for keeping track of my food consumption/exercise time as well. This is my year to IMPROVE MY HEALTH..in my stash and my body!

Elaine Adair says

mmmmm – as a lover of spreadseets, this kinda appeals to me. I HAVE been successful in making more than I’m buying, but still, spending too much, and at the rate I’m going, in order to use up my fabric, I’ll have to live to be 110, with full faculties, not buy another yard, and manage to make 12 quilts a year! Wha ja bet?

Thanks for the idea!

Marianne says

Woo hoo! I’m off to a bad start. Redeemed part of my gift certificate at my LQS today. I plan on goin’ through the old stash tomorrow and weeding out and giving away. Really appreciate the motivating posts, Judy!

Mel says

Well, I’m using my stash by working on my UFOs and using as much from my stash as I can. This doesn’t always make the stacks go down as quickly as I like because I have the UFOs started (or near completion). LOL
    I make a list that drives my friends crazy and do my best to work through it during the month.
    I’ve started working on lots of charity quilts too.