The Battle Within

Last week, I quilted the top using the all over feathers and I had fun! I love making feathers.

The top below was next on my “to quilt” list. The background is kinda creamy with a little yellow, a little gray and a little silver. The plan was to do more free motion, all over feathers — quick and then it would be done!

I washed a piece of wide muslin, loaded the backing, loaded the top and stuck in a piece of poly batting — not my favorite type of batting. The more I looked at the top, the more I said to myself that it really called out for more custom quilting.

But, it just has a muslin backing and you should’ve used a better piece of backing if you’re going to go to all that trouble.
This quilt would look so good with feathers and custom quilting.
But, you loaded it with polyester batting!
I love purple and green and gold together.
But, you have another quilt just like this one and it’s stuck in the closet and it has custom quilting.

What do you think won? Custom or overall feathers? Please vote in the poll over in the sidebar and tell me what you think I did or what you think I should’ve done. I will tell you — I didn’t change the backing or the batting.

E-mail Me!

Comments

Yvonne says

I enjoyed all the earlier posts especially the crazy hairdresser. The quilts are wonderful….can’t wait to see what you did. 🙂

Evelyn aka Starfishy says

If you really think the FRONT deserves custom – custom wouldn’t be a problem – muslin quilts from over 100 years ago are still looking very pretty! And poly batt? My Nana used poly batts in the 70’s and I think those quilts are still pretty too! Do you think sometimes we are paralyzed about what to do simply because we have TOO many choices? LOL!

Cheers!

Evelyn

julieQ says

I think you did custom quilting. Such a beautiful top, I agree, it needs special quilting too!!

JulieQ

Mary says

Yep, I think you did custom too but I would have bet you’d unloaded it and changed the backing and batting if you hadn’t told us you didn’t.

Susan says

Either we all know you really well, or we don’t know you at all, judging by the votes. I actually love muslin for a backing. The quilting always looks so beautiful on it. When I first started machine quilting, I thought I’d never be able to do feathers. After about 8 months, it was my choices of design because it was so easy – LOL! Looks like you feel that way, too.

Owens Family Adventures says

I love the quilt!!!! I think you went custom all the way. Are you giving it to someone or keeping this one?? Orrrrrr are you going to have some sort of (hint hint) contest on the blog where people whohave names that start with say ummmmm D can win??? Sounds like a great idea to me!!!
    heehee
    “D”awn

Erin says

I love the top! I want to say you went with your original plan..stayed on a schedule..but that is me..I would do that then regret it!

Mrs. Goodneedle says

Most of the time I think that done is better than perfect, and then I sit back and wonder why.

Darcie says

OH darn. “Should Have” and “Want To” are so very close…yet oh so far away!!! I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you’ve been doing. (Love how you argue with yourself…me too!)

Fabulous quilts, by the way!!!

Anonymous says

well i’ll be different and say that you gave yourself permission to have fun with this quilt.

I’m voting for the fabulous, fun-loving feathers all the way!

pdudgeon

pudge's girl says

Purple, green and gold. That is a mardi gras quilt, girl. It is lovely. and quilt to your hearts content. Most of our grandmother’s quilt, heirlooms now, have a plain muslin backing. Mary

Anonymous says

Could you do both to it? What about free flowing feathers between the stars, surrounding them, and then, maybe a different shaped feather inside the stars, not staying in the lines, but special for those areas. Then free flowing feathers in the borders. Whatever you do it’ll be beautiful! The quilt is fabulous!

Jeanne in KC

Bingo~Bonnie says

Judy you are so funny! I love your converstations that you share with yourself 😉

I think you went ahead and did the custom quilting, why not? For most of us we can’t afford to pay for custom on every quilt… but for you there is no limitations!

Looks like you will have your quilt bound and ready to cuddle up just in time for Mardi Gras! I remember here last year (our 1st year) we took nora to the parade and it was so cold and rainy and were all bundeled up. She fell asleppin my arms and we still got more than our share of beeded necklaces. How many more would we have received had she been awake and up running around! Guess we will try and go again this year too..

Happy New Year & Love from Texas! ~Bonnie

Glenda says

Girl, you are just too bad ! LOL You let the ‘cat outa da bag’ on the chat room ! Glad you decided to do it the way that pleases you the most. That’s what our creative juices are for, making ourselves happy every now and then. Can’t wait to see it ! Glenda