What Happens in the UFO boxes . .

should stay in the UFO boxes! I have something to tell you that is very difficult to say.

My UFO’s are . . they are . . well, let’s just say they are multiplying . . inside the boxes. Who would every have imagined they would be doing something like this??

The Topsy Turvy Nine Patch pattern is in the American Quilter 2007 Projects issue.

As always when submitting a pattern to a magazine, I make the pattern more than once before submitting my instructions. I started this in pink and gray. Don’t ask me why those colors . . I suppose it’s because I had a bolt of Michael Miller light gray and a bolt of darker gray and had to come up with something. Here’s a post I made in September, 2006 trying to decide what to use with these grays. In fact, the quilt I quilted last week with all the feathers had some of the darker gray in it too.

I had most of the nine patches done, all the half square triangles done, as well as the pieced rectangles but they had to be trimmed and the paper had to be removed. I got all the blocks put together this weekend.
But wait . . what’s in the bottom of that box? About 50 more nine patches . . from the brown Topsy Turvy Nine Patch. Why do I have 50 extra blocks? The pattern only calls for 35 to start with so if I had a few leftovers, I surely shouldn’t have had 50, right? What was I thinking? Most of them have the side pieces already sewn to them so I had to come up with a design to use these little nine patches. They’re the same colors I was thinking about using for Chad’s new quilt. Here’s what I came up with. I didn’t plug in the right colors so please imagine this done in golds, browns, greens, a bit of turquoise and purple just to give it some life. I’ll have to make more nine patches but I have a bunch of strips in the box already sewn together. This one is going to be my major project for this week.

And, because I just couldn’t go to bed without making one block to see how it’s going to look, here’s one block.
Sleeping is such a waste of time! I hate going to bed but . . off to bed I go.

E-mail Me!

Comments

Mary says

I’ll try this post again, I think Chad’s quilt will look great. I love 9 patch quilts and yours are always so creative.

ldahospud says

Wow! I wish my brain worked like that! But I’m glad to have the benefit of your hard work! Thanks for keeping us in the know.

meggie says

I love reading your blog!
    You have no idea how much I related to your last post. No matter how much space I have, it will never be enough!! LOL.

But Hey! It is about the journey isn’t it?? Not about the incidentals!!

Perry says

If my ufos mulitplied in the manner yours do, I would love it! You must have them on growth harmones, lol.

Evelyn aka Starfishy says

It is always fun to see the same pattern done in different fabrics! And, you always seem to have enough fabric to co-ordinate with odd left-over UFO’s to come up with a new, stunning design. I really like the look of Chad’s new quilt!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carolyn says

Once again you amaze me. I take blocks and set the with plain sashing. You always come up with something to make the sparkle. This quilt will look great!

jillquilts says

I really like the look of the new quilt! I like the tumbling nine patches, too! Very nice!

Vicki W says

You are such a creative quilt designer. I love seeing what you come up with. I really like Chad’s 9-patch design.

Vicky says

How do you do this? I mean, day after day after day you come up with new designs! Okay, how big are those nine patches on Chad’s quilt? Would those work for 3″ ones I have from a swap? LOL

Marianne says

Thanks for the warning, Judy. I had planned on opening a UFO box on top of my sewing room closet shelf. I’ll be careful!

Love the new quilt design, simple but interesting. Very nice.

I agree about sleeping, geez, sure wish I could find a way around all that down time!

Susan says

All the quilts are great! I really like the pink and gray colors, too. Chad will be happy with this quilt, I think.

Must have been some mindless strip piecing going on there to have so many extras! LOL! Or you were developing the color pattern differently than you originally planned?

Donna says

I’m glad I’m not the only one with multiplying UFOs! Have you also caught the fabric fairies adding to your stash while you’re sleeping ? They’re sneaky little creatures….

Deb says

I think this one will be great. What a bonus to have 50 blocks alreay done! Your designs are always great.

Bon says

I love both of the quilts. I’m with Vicky with wondering how in the world you keep coming up with those great designs.

Judy S. says

Love those 9 patches! And I laughed over your multiplying blocks….and am wondering whether this carries over to yarn? On one of my recent projects I ended up with 3, yes 3, sleeves. It saved me though as I was wondering where all the yarn went as I began to run out. It was an ill-fated project though as it didn’t fit my long-torsoed little Sophia…sigh!