I’m Too Short or . .

Either I’m too short or my design wall is too tall. As I was trying to get the blocks up on the design wall for Chad’s quilt, I was climbing up on a step stool but then it was always in the way so I came up with an easy, quick way to get the blocks up on the top of the design wall. I’m probably the last person to have thought of this but just in case I’m only the next to last person to have thought of it . . hope it helps!

E-mail Me!

Comments

[email protected] says

That is so cool! I have the same problem with my design board. This will be so helpful to me in the future. Thank you, you are very inventive. Terry
    PS. Love that quilt!

Sherry says

Hi Judy! At first I thought you were using the head of your Swiffer sweeper. . . I had never thought about using a ruler!!! LOL The quilt is coming out beautifully; can’t wait to see if finished.

Sherry

zizzybob says

My design wall is itty bitty and I don’t have a problem reaching the top. But I have to say I really love this “moving picture show.” You have become a real person and not just a name on a blog. The added bonus is we can all here that Louisiana twang you have mentioned.
    Love it!

Marianne says

Great idea! Is that just batting for the design wall? I bought some gridded white flannel from Hancock’s and it’s just not nappy enough. A light breeze and an open window and all pieces come raining down!

kathysews says

What a great idea! And I love that quilt.
    Totally off the subject, but I’m a short hair girl and I keep thinking how cute your hair looks in your profile picture.

Kathie says

quilt looks wonderful
    I do the same thing !
    I have a step stool and when I still can’t reach or trying to smooth out a quilt top on the wall I use my 24 x 6 ruler! Have been know to use a good yardstick to move blocks around too!
    arm extenders πŸ™‚
    Love the little movie hope you do more of them!
    Kathie
    Kathie

Shelina says

That is going to be such a beautiful quilt. I don’t have a design wall, but if I did, using a ruler is a wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip, and the demo.

Hanne says

Lovely quilt Judy πŸ™‚
    Smart way to put up blocks too. I will keep it in mind if I get a design wall. I am another one of the short ones πŸ™‚

Nancy says

I am 5’9″ and don’t usually need a help, but this is way cool. I have some short friends that I will tell.

Carla says

Thank you!!! I was so proud of myself when I moved into my new sewing room and covered a wall which is about 84″x90′ for a design wall. Of course, at 5’4″ tall, there’s no way that I could reach the top and had to drag the kitchen step stool upstairs each time. This is a great solution!

Kristin, a short gal in Michigan says

What a clever way to get the blocks up there … but one question … how do you get them DOWN? πŸ™‚

Linda in Hamilton, ON says

Well, aren’t you clever!! I have tried several things but never thought about my long ruler!!
    Thanks!
    Linda

Anonymous says

Judi – I wish I had thought of this about 10 years ago – I’m short – 5 ft – and I’m always teetering on step stool to reach the top of my design wall — thank you for this great idea – and that quilt is fabulous – I think a version of it will be in my future – carolfun

Deb says

WHat a great idea! I too am always using a step stool that gets in my way. If I remember right, I think I’m even shorter than you, so this will be a great help!

Lindah says

Good idea! You’re so clever! Thanks for sharing.
    Question: I have a strip of flannel and a strip of felt. Neither stick very well. What do you recommend?
    Linda H

Kim says

The quilt is stunning, Judy! I DO use a step ladder and actually, I think the design wall is a little too high for a ruler to work for me, but it’s a good idea!

Mary says

What a great tip…of course, my design wall isn’t too tall for me but I wish it was bigger!

Amanda says

Great idea! I used a yard stick to get one of my UFO’s down from a shelf that was too tall for me to reach. I was afraid that the box would either fall on my head, or fall so hard that it opened up and spilled out everywhere! It worked out great!

I love the little movie! You should do more. πŸ™‚