Applique

I love applique and I have wanted to do it for a long time. For years, every time I’d go to a quilt show, I’d take applique classes. I’ve had classes from Mimi Dietrich, Jeanna Kimball, Didi McElroy and others whose names I cannot remember. Part of my problem (most of my problem!) is that I like quick, strip pieced quilts but I still want to do applique.

It’s one of those things that I can do perfectly in my head but somehow, that head knowledge doesn’t translate very well to my fingers and even though I’ve tried several projects over the last few years, I always get frustrated with my work and give up, leaving yet another UFO.

Vicky does beautiful applique so while visiting with her, I had her show me everything. Prepping, thread, stitches, how to hold it all, etc. I couldn’t wait to get home and try it. Last night, despite being exhausted, I printed off a heart template from EQ, cut myself a square of background fabric, glue basted those red hearts down and look what I did!

It surely isn’t perfect and I can see that my edges aren’t perfectly round but I didn’t have a bunch of pointy things sticking out. I think I can do it! I believe I’ll find a red stripe and make this piece into a pillow and at least it will not be a UFO.

E-mail Me!

Comments

anne bebbington says

As a self-confessed appliquoholic that looks pretty good to me Judy – hearts are always a great thing to do as you get to practice inny and outy points and curves. Be very very careful – it can get very addictive :o)

atet says

Those hearts look fantastic. I’m planning on taking an applique class soon myself — thanks for the encouragement :0). And your post about the plane trip? That really just made me smile :0).

Carolyn says

Judy, the appliqué looks great. I love doing it, just never seem to find the time. I just prepped a block for a quilt I want to have done for Christmas, we’ll see how much of it gets done before I panic and start piecing! I just never know whether to embroider, knit or applique when I sit down in the evenings! Tough decision…

Vicky says

Wow! You totally blow me away, Judy! You’re like Seabiscuit out of the starting gate!!

Your hearts are wonderful! Fabulous job!!! And just in time for Valentine’s Day! (Hugs)

Shelina says

The hearts look pretty Judy. I’ve been trying to develop more confidence in appliqué as well.

Anonymous says

Hey – Judy YOU ROCK!!

See, Mar and I told you you could do it! Heck you you can maneuver that Milli around and make those knitting needles fly like you do, applique should be snap.

Deb Silva

Amanda @ Morning Glory Cottage says

Hi Judy,
    Looks like you’re off to a great start with applique. I love most forms of handwork. I can’t wait until I’ve got time to read up on all your archives. What I’ve seen so far is just fabulous. You do beautiful work. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Evelyn aka Starfishy says

Good job… while I admire hand applique it isn’t for me. My Mom always said that art needed both the artist and the admirerer! Ah, but machine applique – that I can manage on my own.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Deb says

Your applique hearts look great! I too am an applique fan…though mine tends to be done by machine. Love the look.