Log Cabin Blocks

dsc04033.JPG

Click on the picture to make it larger (if you’d like!).

So far, I’ve made 24 blocks. That’s half of what I need for one quilt. I’m loving this quilt and hope my friend, Elaine, likes it as much as I do.

How many blocks have you made so far?

My blocks are going to finish at 9-1/2″ instead of 9″ as I had originally said. My centers are cut 2″ instead of 1-1/2″ and the strips are cut 1-1/2″.

Just in case anyone needs help with measurements, here’s how I’m cutting mine. Except for the center, all strips are cut at 1-1/2″.

logcabin.jpg

7 – 1.5″ x 5″
8 – 1.5″ x 6″
11 – 1.5″ x 7″
12 – 1.5″ x 8″
15 – 1.5″ x 9″
16 – 1.5″ x 10″

Show me your log cabin blocks!

Comments

Tonya says

I love your log cabin blocks. I’m cutting strips for one with 4.5″ blocks made with my 1800’s repro’s stash. While I have those fabrics out, I decided it would be a good idea to cut some squares for another quilt. I haven’t totaled up my stash, but these two quilts will use about 20 yds. of it! Quilters like you are a great inspiration.Thanks!

Wow Judy, I really like your two color log cabin. Very striking! I’ve made a total of 55 blocks, but only 6 of them since your challenge. I already had 49, so I cheated a bit! LOL Thanks for inspiring and challenging me!

Log cabin blocks… I finished my log cabin top! Granted it is only 12 blocks & I did 3 logs on each side instead of 4, but a top is a top!

pdudgeon says

beautiful blocks, Judy!

(i’d swap the 4 blocks that have the stripe in position 1&2 to the center of the quilt, but that’s just me)

Marianne says

I’ve got 21 made using the same very light ecru with vines for one side and a mix of Aunt Grace-like blues, some with touches of red. The center square is red with small flowers. I made mine with 12 rounds making the block finish at 7″. I didn’t like the look of the block with 16 rounds, the center square was overpowered.

It’s beautiful! I really like the off white and red. I have a lot of off white and red fabrics in my scrap collection.

Just sitting here thinking, my first quilt was a Log Cabin. It was one Eleanor Burns designed. It’s huge and really long. I have also made a flannel log cabin for my husband using 2 1/2″ strips. I forgot about my log cabin wallhanging that has a house in the middle of it. It’s a UFO. I need to finish that, if I can find it!

Elaine says

JUDY!!! I am totally blown away!! I can’t believe you’ve actually started “my” quilt!! Didn’t I tell you there was no hurry? Now, I suppose you’ll be wanting “yours” handquilted by next week, huh?
    Seriously, don’t you have some deadlines to work on? You amaze me, girlfriend!
    Elaine

Judy, this is beautiful. So precise and the red and ecru is stunning. I’ve got 9 blocks done…it’s going to be a baby quilt so I think I’ll stop at 12 if I have enough fabric. If not, I’ll stop here and make it a bit larger some other way. Mine are 12 inch blocks.

Since I’d not made a scrappy quilt ever, I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and make a scrappy log cabin. To that end, I’ve spent all the free time I had cutting/trimming the fabric leftovers from older projects into 1.5″, 2″ etc. I’ve cleaned out much of the scrap collection. I was going to start on my first block when a project for my son intervened. I’ve to get a largish bumper done for his playden. I hope to finish that this week and also get a couple of blocks done.

Denise says

Judy – just emailed you a photo of my top. Slaved away all last weekend sewing the blocks and put the top together Monday nite. Now I’m just debating on the border fabric! You’re a bad influence – like I really needed to add another top in the top pile that needs to be quilted! 🙂