Magic Cave of Life?

Net Stash Reduction Goal for 2008 – 150 yards
Net Used to Date – 26 yards
Net Yards To Go – 124 yards

Chad and I were talking tonight about life.  He can’t understand why I can’t understand why kids do the things they do . . like start their evenings at 10:00 p.m. and want to stay out til 1 or 2 a.m.  Our rules are that he’s home by 10 p.m. on weeknights and midnight on weekends . . cruel mom that I am!

I was trying to explain to him why I feel the way I feel about curfew and he told me that I have never experienced life!  I live in “Judy’s Magic Cave of Life” and I don’t know what’s really out there!  All I have to say is thank goodness there’s fabric, sewing machines, longarm and EQ in Judy’s Magic Cave of Life!

Kids!!

Comments

Kathy Rockey says

Ummm, Chad is living at your house, driving a car that’s ?yours, eating food you bought, wearing clothes you probably paid for. Yes, he’s going to college. I am thinking it might be time for HIM to experience life, and stay out till all hours and miss class and then make the tuition payment for the classes he blew. Hmmm. My husband says the reason kids that age drive you nuts is so that when it’s time for them to go, you are ready for them to leave. Might be time. Just my take on it, and I don’t know the whole financial arrangement, and parents are all different, he IS in school, but he’s living with you, your house , your rules. Stand firm, sister. Can I visit your cave sometime?

Marianne says

I’m with Chad on this one. I am a fifty-something Mom and 10:00/midnight is way to early for a 20 year old. Yeah, I know he lives at home and you pay everything, but I think I’d cut him some slack and at least give him an extra hour on both curfews. See how he does and then reassess.

Quiltinggranna says

My thoughts exactly (commenter above.) We had 2 boys and both are college grads now and one has his masters–both married and each very successful. We had limits like yours that they did not necessarily agree with but abided by. We paid the bills and they knew when they were out on their own that Bank of Dad would close, they could set their own rules and live by them. We told them that we trusted them completely being out on the roads late but they had no idea who was coming down the road toward them in their car and what they had been doing or where they had been…..and that’s when lots of bad accidents happen. And we loved them so much we did not even want to have the possibility of that happening. Just not worth the chance. Both boys did great in school, finished college/masters without so much as a bump in the road and as they get older, understood more our reasoning–seems parents get smarter as the kids get older! So stick by your guns, Judy. Some battles are not worth fighting and some are……pick your battles wisely where your children are concerned!

Quiltinggranna says

Oops! When I was typing this another commenter posted and she disagreed and I was not referring to that one, but to the first commenter.

I am SO glad our 4 kids are all grown and on their own. You must have rules, whatever they may be and I fully agree–our house, our rules. Teen/young 20s are tough. Glad I am waaaay past that!
    Judy’s Magic Cave of Life!!! Score one for Chad. I imagine it to be a happy place full of all the toys you love to play with. 🙂 Enjoy the Cave.

pdudgeon says

i agree. when they’re out on their own they can make the rules and pay the consequences.

So long as he’s still living at home and not away at college he should not expect to have the priviledges/responsibilities (which go hand in hand) that those who are living away from home are shouldering.
    Tell him when he’s ready to move out on his own and pay for everything on his own is when he gets to ‘live like other kids’ and not before.

MamaKoch says

My 17 yr old (JR.) is expect to be home at 10pm on weeknights and midnights on weekends too. I like to sleep at night and I’m not going to stay up worrying about him when he’s out running around. He can socialize during the day!
    I even have every one of his friend’s phone numbers and am not afraid to call each and every one of them looking for him.
    He can cat-around when he moves out.

I taught my boys that there were rules to follow. Even when they were “grownup” they would still have rules to abide by….no one gets to do whatever they want.
    I see nothing wrong with curfews….I love your Magic Cave. 🙂

Life is full of rules. Best they learn them while they’re young. As for you experiencing life — geez, kids don’t think their parents were EVER young. I’d wager someday he has a Magic Cave of his own!

Randi says

Ha! I tell my son that I remember only too well what goes on after midnight…lol…and he has no business being out after that! 🙂

Evelyn says

Stick with the rules!!! I have a “star” chart for Little Boy and at the end we go over the “rules” and he gets a star for each one he followed – 1. Stay out of the road. 2. Wear your seatbelt. 3. Be polite. 4. Be helpful. We only have 4 rules (he is 4), but he just delights in getting his stars. We have rules because we LOVE our children (whether they be 4 or older!). Chad is lucky to have you guys as parents!

Cheers!
    Evelyn

Evelyn says

End of the DAY – I mean. He gets stars for each day and then at the end of the week he can trade in his stars for a treat.
    -Evelyn