Improvements at the Cave

Net Stash Reduction Goal for 2008 – 150 yards
Net Used to Date – 26 yards
Net Yards To Go – 124 yards

Well, you all gave me such positive feedback on my parenting skills, let’s see what you have to say about my housekeeping skills!ย  No, please . . I know I’m a terrible housekeeper!ย  Don’t say it!

This is my sewing room! This is the path I travel to get to the ironing board, which you can’t see because there’s a quilt top hanging over it, and somewhere to the right is a sewing machine, which you also can’t see. This is how I work. This is how I live! Sometimes though, it does get to me and then I stop and clean up. I took this picture a couple of days ago and then chickened out and didn’t post it. But I’ve spent the entire day cleaning so now I can proudly show you that my sewing room is no longer a pig pen!

mess1.jpg

The first thing I did today was clean off the counter top downstairs. There was fabric stacked as high as it could stand without falling. There were papers and a few magazines. All is put away except I didn’t notice there were dirty glasses in the sink. You’ll just have to trust that I’ll take those upstairs next trip up and stick them in the dishwasher.

m2.jpg

This is the same spot as the messy picture. Looks quite a bit better, right? Ironing board is clean, fabric is all picked up off the floor and put where it belongs.

m3.jpg

More fabric, pretty much all nice and neat. The bottom shelf under the green – that’s just fabric that I bought either because it was on sale or for backings. There’s some strange looking fabrics in that pile!

m4.jpg

And, this is the real cave. This is the area under the ramp. The people who built our house have a handicapped son and there’s a wheel chair ramp that goes from the main level to the basement and this is the area under the ramp. I love it for storage. There’s rolls of batting as far back as the room goes — at least 25 rolls of batting. Hey, there’s a lot of different kinds of batting out there and you never know what I might want to use!

m5.jpg

Now that my area is all clean and vacuumed, let me see what I can do towards getting it back to being a mess!

Comments

Thanks for posting the messy sewing room picture. Now I can just refer folks to your blog and won’t have to post one of my own. Just imagine the service you’ve done for the quilting community. Seriously, you have a great space and what a stash!!!!

Your before picture is relatively neat compared to me ‘craft room’. When we moved, I grabbed a room and put all my crafting supplies etc. there but have not organized it, so it is a huge mess.
    I am still drooling at the after pictures – great clean up job! I somehow expected to see much more lime green in your wonderful stash! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Becca says

Messy quilter, strict parent…oh dear…the revelations have left my head spinning. I’m not the only one. I only hope my quilts and my kid turn out as well as yours!

Lori says

I too am very comfortable with the “before” picture. I think messy people are very creative!

See, after seeing my *dust* photo you couldn’t resist showing your mess too!

It looks great now….how long will it last?? I’ve been whining for days that our stuff is NEVER going to fit in this townhouse so I’m envious of your space.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I traded square footage for living in the city and being able to walk everywhere.

Lynne in Hawaii says

Love the before and after pics! Great clean up! I just love your stash! In a pinch, just send some my way ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll gladly help you achieve your stash busting goal.

Your before picture is exactly like my sewing room – don’t worry! You did a great job tidying and I think I’ll tidy mine up tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

Linda says

Don’t you think sewing rooms that stay too neat and tidy are kind of creepy? Like they are unloved and unused. Anyway, you have a fantastic stash!!
    Linda

I am surely not confessing or taking a picture of my space……. You are much braver than I am…VBG

I clear mine out occasionally and promise myself each time that I will not let it get messy again. Silly me.

Thanks for sharing with us…..love the before/after photos too. I especially enjoyed your post on parenting. I had daughter read it too. Her reaction…..”Wow, there’s another strict mom like you in the World-both quilters……hhmmmm, is there a pattern to this, Mom?” Thanks again,

Suzanne