Stash Report Plus More

Net Stash Reduction Goal for 2008 – 150 yards
Net Used to Date – 37 yards
Net Yards To Go – 113 yards

I’m not a quitter! I will reduce this stash. But, I have a pretty hopeless mess on my hands! You’ve seen pictures of the neatly-folded-and-organized-by-color stash but you haven’t seen the total chaos that abounds in most of my basement.

dsc04101.JPG

I bought these batiks probably four or five years ago at the Nashville show. Don’t ask me what I plan to do with them. They’re all fish. I’ve thought about them from time to time but never actively searched for them. Today, as I was finishing up a quilt for a friend, I looked under the longarm and there . . big as Texas . . were these batiks all folded up. I don’t have a clue where they’ve been hiding or how they found their way out into the wide, open spaces.

dsc04097.JPG

I came across this bag of “stuff”. It was in the bins where I normally put tops to be quilted. There’s a Hobby Lobby receipt in the bag dated 5/5/01. The truly mystifying part of this is that there are zippers, quite a few zippers. . and ribbon! What was I planning to make? I’m sure this doesn’t all go together but 5/5/01 was seven years ago! I vaguely remember buying this but just don’t have a clue what I planned to do with it.

Probably the most ridiculous find of all was this!

dsc04104.JPG

I saw this quilt in Nashville probably 5 or 6 years ago. It was designed by Jennifer Beuchel of Ornamental Applique. Look at her designs! They’re gorgeous but . . I can’t applique! Pretty optimistic of me to think I might one day be able to do this pattern. I didn’t buy just one . . I bought all 12.

Yesterday while cleaning, I found the little package on the right that has 11 patterns in it. I remembered removing Pattern #1 because, for weeks I would fall asleep looking at the pattern. Didn’t have a clue where it was and figured if I came across Jennifer in Paducah, I’d see if I could buy Pattern #1 but today I opened a box and there was Pattern #1. How lucky was that?

Maybe it’s good that I stumbled across all these things right here before leaving for Paducah. Maybe it’s just a little more encouragement to buy nothing except that hand quilting hoop I want.

About the Stash Report, I didn’t buy anything this week. I used 5-1/2 yards in the star quilt I was making and I used 5-1/2 yards as a backing for a quilt for a friend. That’s 11 yards out and nothing in. Congratulations to me! 🙂

Fabric Added This Week – 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date – 68 yards

Fabric Used This Week – 11.00 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date – 105.0 yards

Net: 37 yards used year to date

Comments

silverthimble says

Those batiks are begging to be used in a Nine Patch Pizzazz quilt. It would make up fast and make use of those lovely squares–and best of all, get rid of the guild!

Diane says

Any chance you can take those 12 patterns and trade them for something else?.. You would get something new but not increase the inventory… a win-win.

pdudgeon says

that border fabric would make a cute 4th of July apron. not sure about the zippers, ribbon and the red and yellow fabrics. maybe they could be made into a sewing tote or a bag for your knitting?

A.L. says

I think you have two chances of leaving Paducah with “NO” fabric!!! Slim & None!!
    How can anyone resist.

You sound like me when I go to a quilt show or another quilting event where there are vendors. I have bought so many kits and fabric collections over the years and they are still sitting in my sewing room. At the time I have every intention of taking them home and starting them right away, but that doesn’t happen.

I’m going to try my best not to do that when I go this time, but it will be hard. I usually stay one day, and this time I am staying for 3! Wish me luck!

11 yards busted! Yes, congratulations to you! Sometimes it feels good to just get rid of things–if you belong to a local quilt guild, what about a donation for door prizes or silent auction? We had a live auction just for our members last June and had an absolute ball, and we’re doing it again this year. All the items were donated, and I went home with some things I really liked. I love other peoples’ scrap bags, and I go home with one of these every year too!

Your post today made me laugh. How we all can relate! Our ideas and plans are always much bigger than the time we spend actually doing. I come across these type of items in my sewing room also and wonder what on earth I was thinking.
    Congratulations on your stash busting effort. And thanks for the new Hour A Day quilt. I hope to follow along.

I committed an entire year of no new projects/purchases-I only worked on UFO’s. I got alot done, but I also gave alot away (kits, books, stuff). I think I agree with pdudgeon-the zipper and other things could make a great bag or tote (to carry fabric in!). 11 yards is a great step in your yearly goal!

Suzanne

If only we could remember what we bought some of those things for. If only I could remember where I saw that fabric I need now.

Enjoy Paducah.

Darlynn says

Oh Judy….I was sooooo LOL over this post!
    How many times haven’t I found a bag full of goodies and thought….”What the heck was I thinking???” And the applique patterns….I am still chuckling. I too have purchased patterns, later reviewing them and thought again….”Where was my head when I was purchasing these???”
    Thanks for the chuckle…I can totally relate!