How did it get to be after 1:30 a.m. already? Someone is going to have a real hard time waking up when the alarm goes off in the morning.
It was almost 10 p.m. before I had a chance to begin sewing. Since I’d finally decided on the fabric to use for my star sampler, I was anxious to get started. Here are the fabrics that made the final cut:
If you’ve read my blog any time at all, you know I only make easy quilts. Easy as in nine patch blocks that are most often 9″ finished and there are no weird sizes for the pieces. In order to make this star sampler as simple as possible, I am making 12″ blocks. Some of the blocks are on a grid of 4 x 4 and some are on a 3 x 3 grid so the 12″ blocks seemed the best way to go. Even using a 12″ block, I still ended up with some pieces being cut weird sizes, like 3-3/16″ or 4-5/16″. I know that isn’t difficult, but it’s not what I’m used to doing. I was anxious to get started though so I tediously cut the required sizes . . down to the 16th of an inch. I made the first block and something just wasn’t going together correctly. Guess what I did! The center square was to be cut 3-1/2″ and I cut it wrong! The easiest cut of all and I messed it up. I did go on to get three blocks done and I’m loving it!
The plan is to get the remaining 10 blocks done tomorrow and Sunday and take everything with me next week to work on getting the blocks all sewn together to form the quilt top!
The blue star blocks all came down from the design wall and were sewn into rows. All the border pieces were cut, joined and cut the correct length (I hope). The rows are all labeled with handy 3M Post-it Tape. I even made the binding but, of course, that will not need to go to the retreat with me.
All the leftover pieces from the strips I cut were cut into squares.
The squares then go into the appropriate plastic boxes to one day be used in the perfect scrappy project or . . sold on ebay by my son after my demise! 🙂