Late Night Sewing

How did it get to be after 1:30 a.m. already?  Someone is going to have a real hard time waking up when the alarm goes off in the morning.

It was almost 10 p.m. before I had a chance to begin sewing.  Since I’d finally decided on the fabric to use for my star sampler, I was anxious to get started.  Here are the fabrics that made the final cut:

j2

If you’ve read my blog any time at all, you know I only make easy quilts.  Easy as in nine patch blocks that are most often 9″ finished and there are no weird sizes for the pieces.  In order to make this star sampler as simple as possible, I am making 12″ blocks.  Some of the blocks are on a grid of 4 x 4 and some are on a 3 x 3 grid so the 12″ blocks seemed the best way to go.  Even using a 12″ block, I still ended up with some pieces being cut weird sizes, like 3-3/16″ or 4-5/16″.  I know that isn’t difficult, but it’s not what I’m used to doing.  I was anxious to get started though so I tediously cut the required sizes . . down to the 16th of an inch.  I made the first block and something just wasn’t going together correctly.  Guess what I did!  The center square was to be cut 3-1/2″ and I cut it wrong!  The easiest cut of all and I messed it up.  I did go on to get three blocks done and I’m loving it!

j1

The plan is to get the remaining 10 blocks done tomorrow and Sunday and take everything with me next week to work on getting the blocks all sewn together to form the quilt top!

The blue star blocks all came down from the design wall and were sewn into rows.  All the border pieces were cut, joined and cut the correct length (I hope).  The rows are all labeled with handy 3M Post-it Tape.  I even made the binding but, of course, that will not need to go to the retreat with me.

j3

All the leftover pieces from the strips I cut were cut into squares.

j4

The squares then go into the appropriate plastic boxes to one day be used in the perfect scrappy project or . . sold on ebay by my son after my demise! 🙂

j5

Judy

Comments

The stars are looking good. Though it isn’t near as late for me as it is for you, I am going to go to bed or I won’t get up for my Bee tomorrow. I still have a bit of cleaning to do, but I will be more charged in the AM than right now. Enjoy your sewing!!

You have such a good sense of humour…your comment about your son selling your stash on Ebay made me smile. I often wonder what my DH would do with all my stuff when I’m no longer here. I should write a quilter’s will so that he will be forced to do something sensible with it. Not that selling it wouldn’t be sensible, it’s just he might just decide to have a bonfire -I do hope not 🙂

It’s very considerate that you have all of your scrap boxes properly labeled for Chad! The star quilt is going to be awesome!

pdudgeon says

looks like you’ve been working hard on your stash busting this week. i love the results!

Mary Lea says

Judy, I don’t know how you keep up with yourself. What is so nice is that your quilts do have simple blocks and than you put them together in such pretty settings. I like all your quilts…but I sure could not keep up.

Juuuuudyyyyyy! waaaaayyyyyyke uuupppp Juuuuudyyyyy!

Question: Your “appropriate boxes” for your orphan scraps – are they sorted by size? I need a workable system.

Love your blog. The comments about your son always make me smile. I have two teenagers who would probably sell all my stuff as well.

Your bins make me smile, because they look so much like mine. Often I get so carried away playing with the scraps, that I forget I can only make more scraps if I keep making quilts too.

We were discussing our demise at guild one night and it was suggested that we pin a name of a friend or relative on each of our ufo’s. That way when we die, people will look at all those ufo’s and think they were special… we were making them something but never got around to finishing it!

Atleast your son knows what has “$$vlaue$$”. At my home it would be considered junk. Hopefully, when its our time to go we will have some advance warning to get this stuff taken care of properly!!!!

Karen L

I just laughed out loud at your last sentence! I also told my son to sell my stuff on ebay after I’m gone. Glad I’m not the only one who has a morbid sense of humor. On a friendly note though, my bee has agreed to finish each others UFOs after we pass on and return them to our families. I thought that was a nice idea. I do, however feel sorry for the “last member standing!”

Judy, I love the variety of stars you have planned for this quilt! Easy you say? Looks “not” easy to me 😉

I was in the stationary section of Target today buying business envelopes and scotch tape and did not see this handy dandy 3M tape you have raved about. Is it a new product that hasn’t been released yet? or perhaps I didn’t look close enough…. I was shopping alone while David had the kids in the play area of the mall – so I can’t blame it on them distracting me.

… however, David did ring my cell phone about 6 or 7 times while I was shopping, “Which section of the diaper bag are the diapers in? Where are the sippy cups? What time did they eat last? When will you be done, PT has poop! *sigh* He was such a distraction during my 30 minutes of alone time!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

The blocks are dynamite! I can’t wait until you have this one released for your happy customers!

Poor Chad! Just give him the name of your best bud with instructions that she’s to deal with your stash/UFOs/scraps! LOL

Some weekend I need to attack my scrap bag next to the cutting table. It overfloweth!

What a great idea to make squares out of the left-overs! I have a box of scraps that is just a big mess… I’ll have to work on something like that!