Stash Report Week #36

I got a lot accomplished this week.  I used 15.25 yards this week:

• 7 yards on a the quilt I started Friday and will finish the top tomorrow!
  • 2.5 yards for a quilt I finished up Thursday
  • 6 yards for the backing on the LSU quilt.

I forgot to say last week that the fabric Vicky donated didn’t get added to my stash numbers and isn’t going to get added to the usage reports either.  I have it in a separate stack and it will all be used for backings for donation quilts.

Here’s my numbers:

Fabric added this week – 0 yards
Fabric added year to date – 282 yards

Fabric used this week – 15.25 yards
Fabric used year to date – 314.25 yards

Net Used to Date – 32.25 yards

You know what occurred to me this week?  There’s hardly a day that goes by that I don’t quilt — piece or quilt — I call it all quilting.  I’ve used 314 yards this year.  Just suppose that I spent $8/yard.  I didn’t because I usually buy fabric on sale or order from Thousands of Bolts.  But, just to have a number, I’ll say $8/yard.  That means I’ve spent $2,512 on the fabric I’ve used this year. 250 days have passed this year so that means I’ve spent about $10.05/day on fabric.  Does that seem right?  I don’t know what I think about that number.

Will you share your stash report for this week with us?

Comments

$10 a day is a cheap hobby! Especially one that you do every day. A lot of folks spend more than that on clothes shopping!

pdudgeon says

I think i’d lower that dollar number to 7 if i were counting and spending mostly at sales.

that’s a happy medium between full price (when ya just gotta have it at the quilt shows) and TOB prices.

i find myself shopping equally between the two.
    I’ll shop the new collections and quilt shows because the vendors come a long way to bring us beautiful fabrics and i really appreciate that effort on their part.
    but I also shop TOB when i need lots of yardage for backings and borders or background fabrics.
    Also they carry fabrics (like those in my Star BOM) that i can’t find elsewhere.

Evelyn says

I would say that is a cheaper habit than smoking! Or smoking and going out for a coffee every day. Or lottery tickets. Or, or, or…. and you have something absolutely beautiful to show for your efforts!
    Cheers!
    Evelyn

Quilt fabrics here are about $23/metre. I paid $26 at my LQS for Ginger Blossom the other day.

$10 a day isn’t too bad, it IS cheaper than smoking, and much better for you.

Most importantly, you enjoy it.

I’ve never bought $8/yd fabric. Well I got Amy Butler at like 50% off because it was ordered through a co-op. But I haven’t touched it at all. I love the way it feels but worry that I’d end up screwing up with my cutting and be wasting some of it. $2.99 or $3.99 a yard, not a big deal because that’s cheap and easy to replace!

Quilting is good for your health! At least your mental health anyway. And you didn’t have to leave your house, join a club, etc to do it! And quilts last and are FUN!