Stash Report Week 1, 2009

Folks, it’s time for the first stash report of 2009.  A couple of quick reminders:

1. If you’re adding your report to the Mr. Linky box, please be sure the link is to the direct post and not to your main blog.  Links to main blogs will be deleted.
  2. If you’re not tracking exact numbers but are working to bust the stash, it’s perfectly alright to post about your efforts for the week.  You do not have to have numbers in order to be stash busting with us.
  3. There have been questions about what to count and when to count it.  It’s all up to you.  Remember, there are no stash police (or at least I hope not!).  Some count it when the top is completed.  I count it when I pull the fabric from the stash and cut it for the top.  At that point, it’s no longer in my stash waiting to be used in another project. So long as you’re not counting it when you pull it from the stash and when you complete the project, you’re fine.  I worked on a top last week (the green and purple one) that half the blocks were made but they were started several years ago and had never been included in the stash count so the whole amount got counted this week.  The top I’m working on tomorrow was counted in last year’s count so only the borders that I’m adding will get counted in next week’s report.  Use your own judgment . . this is supposed to be fun and no one else is going to worry about you.  We trust you!
  4. Good luck!  If you’re starting out doing a stash report, then I think that means you want to use the stash and you want to share your results with other stash busters.  Try to stick with it.  After a while, it’s second nature and you won’t find it burdensome at all.

OK . . here’s my report.

Fabric Added this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 0 yards

Fabric Used this Week: 27.50 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date: 27.50 yards

Here’s where the yardage was used (click on it to make it larger):

Please share your report with us:

Comments

Well Hey! This is the kind of stash busting I can keep up with. It was all that number counting that got to me. I am in. I will just do my own form of calculation and totals and all will be well!

Stashbusting report was easy… looking forward to the Quiltathon next week so I can use more fabric! I have a small pile of quilts that need to be finished and a bunch of UFO’s to work on. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

It’s a new year, so I’m trying again. Four days into the year, I haven’t bought a thing! VBG Thanks for keeping me motivated.

I haven’t signed up for the official stashbusting report but one of my goals for the year is to keep using up what I have. Looks like quite a few quilters are trying to finish UFOs. That’s my intention for the year as well. We’ll have to see how it goes.

FOUR whole days and you have not bought any fabric !! are you OK ?
    Seriously, well done. I too have been working away at my stash.

Happy Room Diana

Liz says

I am out of town, so no sewing but also no fabric purchased. I have been working on a needlepoint project, so I am working on an UFO!

Wow! That is quite a start! I just signed up to stashbust along with you and I am excited to calculate my numbers and feel accomplished…but, how do you count your fabric in yards when using scraps? Or a charm pack or jellyroll?

Bon says

Well, I’ve started this Stash Busting. I call mine “Slash the Stash”. I’m off to a good start for me.

Well, I posted my first report, and I’m already in the hole. Don’t care. It feels good to write down what comes in and potentially what will be going out. No matter which way your numbers go, it just makes you more aware of what you have when you’re keeping a log. Thank you, Judy, for hosting the Stash Busting Report.

Debbi says

I’ve been off work this week, and so had lots of time for sewing. Hopefully I can keep a steady pace over the year. I’m off to a pretty good start this week. Thanks for the encouragement!

Well, first report is in. And I think I posted it right!!
    I have been using my stash, counting some of it – still have my yardage and the box of unswahed FQ’s I have not gotten to. It will all get counted. Rigth now, I am sewing!! And enjoying it. Love scrappy. And I love the quilts/projects you have show Judy. This is a great start to a great year and I will see you all next week!!!

Thanks for hosting the stash busting reports. I love to read what everyone has done for the week. Motivates me, and I laugh when I read where VICKY bought fabric. (I shouldn’t pick on Vicky!) Seriously, we buy fabric because WE LIKE IT!!

Okay, my first report is in. An exciting zero-in-zero-out! However, I’m motivated to use some of my stash just so I have something to report. Thanks, Judy, for helping us all out!

Pam says

I followed this blog most of last year, so I’m going to venture out into bloging myself, starting with a stash report. We’ll see how well I do on multiple fronts. Thanks, Judy!

Thanks for the extra push Judy. I need to work more each day. It is too easy for me to find something else to do around the house, but I need to make the effort to sew more, because I relax when I am sewing….even when I am taking something out.

I’ve posted my first week’s report. It was a wash – 6 yards in and 6 yards out. Better than starting the year with an addition I guess!

I left my first stashbusting report. It is a sad little report, but I hope to remedy that. Thank you for your constant encouragement with your blog.

Susan ~ Patchkat says

I’ve been working from my stash for almost 3 years and haven’t made a dent! I inherited my late Mom’s stash and friends keep bringing me fabrics for charity quilts. ARGH! My first challenge is to reorganize my sewing studio and get the stash in some order so I can actually see it and use it. It’s currently all in tubs, under the bed boxes and bins. I’ve discovered you don’t (read that as WON’T) use what you can’t see and easily reach! Yardage in my current stash? I haven’t a clue. I will try to keep up with what I actually USE.

For week 1: 4.75 yards for my NYE mystery quilt top.

Well, you’re starting off with a lot of participants – it will be interesting to see how many people continue on. I combine my progress reports with a stashbusting report and will continue that this week although like last year – I won’t report if I don’t get anything done although I think I’ll be traveling a little less this year.

Lynne in Hawaii says

All the reports were terrific! I so enjoy the stash busting reports. Thank you all! Judy, you are the inspiration!

Small report this week. I don’t typically get to use the computer on the weekends so I hope it’s OK my reports might be on Monday.

Ida says

I don’t have a true “BLOG” but I have a very active flickr account. So, I’ve included a link to my flickr upload of my stash report.

I’m very slow to get started this year. Visitors will slow me down… they will want to eat! and a crawler needs the floors clean ;(

I was inspired to do this very thing by my fellow HGTV Stashbusters! I have really enjoyed reading your blog and getting motivated!

love this challenge – I am late in posting it but my report is in for Week #1. I hope to do better next week and bring my numbers up. I will check out other blogs to see how everyone else is doing.

Denise Russart says

Off to a slow start – just remembered I needed to post last week’s totals. Whoo Hoo I actually used over a dozen yards and didn’t buy any that week. Hmm. how long will that last.