An Afternoon in the ER

If you don’t want to see gross pictures, don’t read any farther!

Our vehicles have to be inspected this month so Chad took his in this morning about 8 to get the oil changed and inspection done.  I picked him up and Chris said he should be finished by 10:00 a.m.  At 9:55 a.m., the phone rang and it was Chris.  Some really weird part was broken on Chad’s car.  Never saw anything like it!  Not sure how it could have happened.  No one around here has ever seen anything like it! Of course, the parts have to be ordered and won’t be in til tomorrow or Friday . . hopefully Friday as that will keep him off the road longer!

Got all my morning chores done, lunch was served and I went downstairs to spend the afternoon sewing.

Chad was off work, and with no transportation, he was bored to death.  He’d been bugging me about going here, going there .. wanting me to go somewhere with him.  NO!  Not going anywhere.  He took a nap, then he got up, visited with me for a while and then he went off to do something.

At 2:10 p.m. I was downstairs sewing . . Tshirt, very little makeup, slippers . . and Chad calmly hollers from upstairs:  Mom, can you get your purse and keys and come upstairs quickly? That will get a mom’s heart racing!  I ran upstairs, grabbed my keys and purse and off to the hospital we went.  He was out shooting his bow and arrow, a wooden arrow exploded (yes, that happens when using wood arrows with compound bows . . now he knows!) and a piece went through his arm, hit a bone and arrow fragments went into his arm.

Actually I went in with him, got him checked in, left him there and drove the 3 blocks back home to put on real shoes, put Speck in his crate, grab my knitting bag out of Vince’s car, and lock the doors we had left open.  Then I went back to the hospital just as Chad was being seen by the first nurse.

I tried to call Vince at work and he was in a meeting.  I left a message with someone else and Vince said when they came to get him, he was thinking . . his car is in the shop. . how could he have gotten hurt?

The doctor had to make some cuts in order to remove fragments but the treatment was pretty minor considering how bad his injuries could have been.  I’m sorry he got hurt but I am thankful it was his arm and not his face or eye.  I am also thankful that we got his health insurance resolved, although no one told the prescription division that he’s covered.  Vince will get that resolved tomorrow.  By the time we left the hospital, went to the health unit for a tetanus shot, back to the pharmacy for antibiotics, it was a 3-1/2 hour incident.  In a city at a large ER, it would probably have taken all day to have gotten through ER, have the ultrasound and get the doctor to remove the fragments.  I love this town!

His arm will be very sore and he’ll have to have it checked again Monday.  It could have been so much worse than it was.  I’m feeling very blessed tonight.

Maybe I’ll go sew for a few hours to relieve the stress or . . maybe a margarita will better do the trick!

Comments

Just Me says

Oh poor Chad! I hope he will get well quick. So thankful it was not his face or eyes. Sure could have been so much worse. He will be a hurting dude for awhile.

Kids!!
    They never stop being a worry to their parents. Doesn’t matter what age.
    Take 2 drinks and call it a night.

Connie says

OUCH! This made my heart stop for a second because middle dude got a bow for Christmas. It was just a regular one, not compound though. We’ve already talked safety and now we’ll be talking some more.

I’m glad the injury isn’t as serious as it might have been, but it’s still very scary. We never ever stop worrying about our kids and then…when we have grandkids, we worry about them, too. *sigh*

I’m feeling more sorry for Judy than Chad :). He’s young and bound to do things like this. Mom on the other hand, this adds to the gray hairs!

Wait til he moves out… and you never know what he’s doing or how he is. Or worse, you KNOW how he is and can’t interfere. 🙂

I hope you both recover soon!

Julianne Flagg says

Just take a deep breath. So glad that he was not hurt badly. Your post brought back some not so wonderful memories from my own children. Oh Yeah don’t forget to let out that breath. Glad That Chad will be fine in no time.

Definitely a MARGARITA situation, if you ask me!!

Glad to hear it wasn’t as serious as it could have been (not that it wasn’t bad enough).

Chad, don’t forget, you will probably end up with kids just like yourself. . . . so BE CAREFUL!!!

pdudgeon says

thankful that if it had to happen, it happened in the best place possible and at the best time possible!

OH My! Poor Chad! Poor you! Maybe you should invest in a suit of armor for him. But honestly it is so nice that he likes to be so active outdoors. So many young people we know are pasty white and live for online games.

I’m glad Chad is ok!!! If I were you, I would pass on the sewing tonight and just do the margarita’s until you can’t remember the events of the day!!!

I asked my 11 year old DS about his bow and shooting wooden arrows…..I was very happy with his response that “you don’t use wooden arrows with a coumpound bow”!!!! Someday I’ll post pictures of our bow accident. It involves sheetrock!!!!

I’ll bet your glad that Chad will be going off to college. In those very small dorm rooms there won’t be room for guns or bows or any other hunting stuff!!! So he should be safe.

Karen L

Bon says

Well, that is pretty nasty looking. I bet it will be sore for a day or two or … Sure glad it was not any worse than it was. Enjoy the drink. LOL

OMG, Judy, my heart was on the floor when I read your title! We need to wrap Chad in bubble wrap until he’s 35! Or longer!

Thank God he’s going to be okay. But I’d say a PITCHER of margaritas is in order for Mom! xox

Donna (in MI) says

Ouch! I hope you had the margarta(s) and were able to de-stress a little. Sounds like one of those days.

I swear Judy it doesn’t matter how old they are they can still make us worry! I’m glad it wasn’t any worse but sorry he’s hurt at all. Watch for infection! blessings, marlene

I vote for the margarita, a strawberry one with real strawberries. I’m glad Chad wasn’t hurt any worse than he was. Maybe you should just lock him in his room till he’s 35 or so. The world doesn’t seem to be a very safe place for him.

I can’t believe Chad was so calm. Sorry that happened, but you are so right – it could have been worse… so glad he is gonna be ok. 😉

funny how you had your camera with you to blog about it 😉 I had to have a MRI last night of my knee and while I was laying there I was thinking – man, I wish I had my camera so I could take a photo of what I’m having to stare at and blog about later.. 😛

Tell Chad to take it easy a few days, and make that boy some cholocoate mug cake 🙂 (got your email and replied)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Bet he’s glad he wasn’t using one of those carbon expres maxima arrows that was listed just under $130 on his wish list jsu tbefore Christmas… or maybe he’s wishing he was? b/c maybe they don’t explode?? I jsut thought about that…?

I am so happy that Chad is okay. He is truly blessed that it was his arm. Prayers with you and your family. And have 2 Margarita’s, you’ll feel better.

Love
    Dianah

Linda H says

An *exploding* arrow?? Who would have thought! I’m sure glad he’s ok! Yeah, definitely some relax time, Judy.

I didn’t know arrows exploded. Glad Chad wasn’t wounded too badly. I think the margarita sounds better than sewing for this one, lol.

I didn’t know arrows could explode, either! Poor guy, I’m glad he’s going to be OK. What a blessing that you decided to stay home and sew that day so you could be there for him. No matter how old our children get, there are still times when they really *need* Mom. 🙂

Marla says

Oh, wow. An inch south and could have hit his artery! He is one lucky boy. Hope you had that margarita!

Holy Cow!!! Hugs to Chad and Mom! Kids————-what else can I say? Did you put the bow in time out and the arrows in the fire???

Judy, I’m very glad Chad is going to be OK. You know I have 3 kids and the “boy child” is 3 times the work that the other two are but the one that takes so much work tugs at my heart. Never a dull moment when you have “one of those”.

Kim M says

Judy, I have to admit, back when the isurance fiasco hit and you made him sit inside for the weekend I remember thinking, “What are the odds something will happen to him…” I am so sorry for doubting you!!! Good thinking on grabbing the knitting bag, that would have been my second priority, after locking the doors.

I’ve have a few of those “Mom, I think we have a problem” moments myself. Bless your heart, now that it’s beating again.

Wow! It’s been a rough month at your house. First Speck, now Chad. I hope that both your boys are on the mend. Chad’s arm looks like it hurts. Hope that you have recovered. It hurts you the most – to see him hurting.

Take care!

Boy, is that son of yours ever accident prone. I think my brothers were like that when we were growing up. My Mom was in the ER atl east once a week. I hope his arm recovers without any lasting scars.

Lynne in Hawaii says

Ouch! His first injury of the new year….already! Has your heart started back up yet? Did you go for the margarita/then sew or just sew. It is amazing what that boy can get up to without leaving home! Hope he heals quickly.

Eve says

OMG!! Judy, this post and the pix made my heart pound really fast!! I’m so happy that you are as laid-back as you are, or that boy would have made you have a stroke by now!! Seriously, I’m so thankful that it wasn’t more serious than it was–for ALL your sakes! {{{{HUGS}}}} Eve