Snowballs

When attending quilt shows or looking through magazines, I’m amazed at the work that goes into many quilts I see.  I don’t always do the simplest of quilts but I definitely don’t do hard quilts.  Tiny pieces . . not in my quilts!  What can be more simple than a snowball quilt?

For me, a snowball quilt isn’t as simple as you might think.  I use the little flip corner method and I have the hardest time getting everything to line up when I put the blocks together.  I’d like to put a plain square between them . . that would help!  Can’t do that though.

The Lee’s Summit Quilt Guild uses snowballs for their donation quilts and they have a color each month.  March is actually children’s prints but I have none of those so I’m using green, a color from a previous month.  April is pink so I think I’ll do one for a previous month and one for a future month.

Putting these blocks together should be a piece of cake, if I can just get all those seams to line up right.  And, it’s all from the stash!

Comments

I finished two snowball chairty quilts made from kids novelties a couple weeks ago. What a great guild idea to do the color-coded thing. I love your green quilt . . . another great, easy stash-buster.

That turned out really cute. What a great idea for a chairity quilt. I’ve become addicted to fork pins; Clover makes them. With the pin being on each side of the point you need to have accurate it makes a huge difference. You don’t have that 1-2mm shift that you get with 1 pin or even locking seams together.

No me, I just keep on stitching and don’t get too concerned about matching exactly. I tell myself that the over all effect will overshadow any seams that are slightly off or points that get lost.

Bobbie says

I’m with Jen on the fork pins–love them and your seams will always meet if you use them right. Great investement. Hugs, Bobbie

March is actually children’s prints but I have none of those

Our stashed couldn’t be more different. :o)

How long did it take you to make this top? (I need to be guilted into making mine – apparently.)

Leslie says

I like quilt and think feathers dress up a quilt! I would probably use a variegated yellow/gold, or yellow/orange. Can’t wait to see it!
    Leslie

I’d probably quilt with green thread but it might depend on the backing color. Feathers will look very pretty. I have always liked your feathers. I never quite got mine looking as good as I had hoped…now I have no longarm so it doesn’t matter.

Alexandra says

I really like the variety of greens in this quilt giving nice movement. I would quilt with the variegated green out of the choices you listed. Although I might even try a purple or orange. It will look lovely and be loved whatever you choose.
    BTW I have had your blog as my home page for over a year and think that you are so open, honest, funny and extremely giving. Thank you so much for giving me inspiration.
    Alexandra in Sydney, Australia

Hi, I just found your blog. I love your quilts and your colour choices! Wow, you really know how to put them together. Being a fairly new quilter its always nice to visit another quilter and see what they do…I’ll come back for sure

Debbi says

Love your snowball quilt in the greens. I think I would use the varigated thread to quilt it…but what about a contrasting color, pink? orange? I think that would make it very happy. Whats on the back? Debbi