The Cake Winner

Before I tell you who won, let me tell you a few other things.

1. The Hummingbird Cake is definitely the most popular.  I got bunches of those.  I’ve never made it so I must try it.
  2. Several of the cakes I’ve made before and we’ve always loved them – Five or Seven Flavor Pound Cake, Banana Split Cake, Oatmeal Cake and Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
  3. It was a tough choice to decide on just one.  There’s a Spice Cake and a Snickerdoodle Cake that I can’t wait to try.  There wasn’t a single one that came through that wouldn’t have been a great choice for Vince’s birthday cake.
  4. There was a Fig Cake that I’ll make as soon as I can get some figs from my mom.  Years and years ago, probably 19 years, I had a Fig Cake at a B&B in Jasper, TX and I’ve been looking for a similar recipe ever since.  I was thrilled to see that one but I have no figs.
  5. Several Carrot Cake recipes were received and I’m definitely going to make one of those soon.

The reasons I chose the winning cake:

• It has buttermilk in it and I love the texture of cakes made with buttermilk — kinda “packy”.
  • It has cherries in the cake and in the icing and I could eat my weight in either fresh or maraschino cherries.
  • Vince loves coconut in a cake.

I called Chad to make sure he would eat a cake with coconut.  At one time he would not but he said he now does.  So . . the perfect cake for Vince’s birthday is:

The recipe is for a Hibiscus-Nectar Cake.  Doesn’t that sound yummy?

Sarah, later in the morning an email will be coming your way with a gift certificate attached so be watching for it.

If there’s enough interest, I’ll get all the recipes into a format that can be shared here.

Thanks to all who participated and thanks to all who read my blog!

Comments

Nancy W. says

What a fun contest. I would love to see the recepes. I agree with you about the buttermilk….it does do something for cakes and cornbread too,.

Judy in Michigan says

I vote for the cake recipe “book”…I’m interested!!!!! I’m drooling already just reading the descriptions of the cakes that were submitted. Thanks again Judy.

You had me until I heard coconut… (I only like that stuff in candy & hidden in Thai stuff like sticky rice….)

That sounds yummy. I love cake – well, I really love pie too – and cookies – and ice cream – and……get the picture? Desserts are my thing – can’t keep them in the house or I’d be as big as a house. Bob doesn’t eat dessert (something’s wrong with this picture) so if it’s here I eat it all. On occasion I treat myself to a dessert and give some to the neighbors.
    Happy Birthday to Vince.
    Karen

Oh yeah, you must share the oatmeal cake right now. Jacob’s pediatrician says that I have to eat oatmeal daily to help with my milk supply.”In cookies?” I asked, “Yes, in cookies in moderation is o.k. too.” So bring on the cake!

Perfect! I’ve been looking for a coconut cake to make for Easter dinner. Thanks so much for posting that one. Congrats to the winner.

: )

OOOOO…yes…cake recipes are nearly as good as quilt patterns (except not so good for my diet, but…who cares?)

KMcCall says

Yes, I want all the recipes you mentioned…apparently I don’t have the recipe collection you do…but boy would I like too!

Cherries, coconut, buttermilk — mmmmmmm! That sounds like a really special cake, and look forward to seeing the recipe. Happy Birthday, Vince!

Marla says

As Bill Cosby stated in his famous stand up comedy routine, :”Cake is very healthy..it has eggs, milk, flour ,,,,” Bring on the cake recipe cook book Judy!!

Ruby says

Would love for you to make the recipes available. Thank you so much! They all sound so good I would not have been able to make a decision!!!

pdudgeon says

Hmmm, cake recipes and the quilts they inspired…..sounds like a great proposal for your third book!

just think…Hummingbird Cake and a Hummingbird quilt (30’s style)
    Oatmeal Cake with a quilt in neutrals,
    Pineapple Upside down Cake and a Pineapple (log cabin) block quilt

so what other recipies did you get for cakes that we can team up with quilts???

Oh, i know! a King Cake (Mardi Gras) and a quilt with purple, green, and gold.

Judy, you can so do this!!!

Glenda in Florida says

I’d love to see all the recipes. And, I hope you received one for Red Velvet Cake–I’m on a mission to find the perfect Red Velvet cake recipe.

I guess I don’t need to worry about how to explain the addition to my stash. Congratulations to Sarah. It would be nice to have the recipes. Many of them sound unique including the one you are making. My birthday is March 18th Judy. If you would make a cake for me I would be sure to enjoy it and share it with my family and friends.

Ok Judy………since everyone wants the recipes……we all should probably post on our blogs a picture of our cake submitted along with the recipes. Since you do so much for us already to add recipe submitter seems like another thing in your long list. I look forward to seeing the winning cake!!!

Karen L

QltnRobin says

OH YAH!!!! I Would LOVE to have a “just cakes” Cookbook. We love to eat it, but I dont make it very often because we are all too fat already hehehe. But it would be nice grab a book on JUST CAKES and pick one out of there instead of having to go to store and buy a box of plain jane.

Thanks!
    Robin

Dorothy says

When you said buttermilk, I had my hopes up, but dashed at coconut, not in my life time! Oh well, it was fun and yes do bring on the recipes!!