Before I tell you who won, let me tell you a few other things.
- The Hummingbird Cake is definitely the most popular. I got bunches of those. I’ve never made it so I must try it.
- Several of the cakes I’ve made before and we’ve always loved them – Five or Seven Flavor Pound Cake, Banana Split Cake, Oatmeal Cake and Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
- It was a tough choice to decide on just one. There’s a Spice Cake and a Snickerdoodle Cake that I can’t wait to try. There wasn’t a single one that came through that wouldn’t have been a great choice for Vince’s birthday cake.
- There was a Fig Cake that I’ll make as soon as I can get some figs from my mom. Years and years ago, probably 19 years, I had a Fig Cake at a B&B in Jasper, TX and I’ve been looking for a similar recipe ever since. I was thrilled to see that one but I have no figs.
- Several Carrot Cake recipes were received and I’m definitely going to make one of those soon.
The reasons I chose the winning cake:
- It has buttermilk in it and I love the texture of cakes made with buttermilk — kinda “packy”.
- It has cherries in the cake and in the icing and I could eat my weight in either fresh or maraschino cherries.
- Vince loves coconut in a cake.
I called Chad to make sure he would eat a cake with coconut. At one time he would not but he said he now does. So . . the perfect cake for Vince’s birthday is:
The recipe is for a Hibiscus-Nectar Cake. Doesn’t that sound yummy?
Sarah, later in the morning an email will be coming your way with a gift certificate attached so be watching for it.
If there’s enough interest, I’ll get all the recipes into a format that can be shared here.
Thanks to all who participated and thanks to all who read my blog!