Stack & Whack Progress

I’m loving this quilt!  Here are the blocks I have made so far:

See the middle block in the middle row?  The center is off a little bit on two of the pieces.  I’ve debated taking it apart and fixing it and I don’t think I have enough fabric to do it . . they’re just cut wrong.  I could fussy cut two more pieces from the yardage I have here but that would be a pain.  It’s going to be a donation quilt and the little boo-boo probably won’t bother the recipient one bit but it’s driving me nuts!  I just need to get over it, right?

Comments

Here’s my 2 cents worth:

A very experienced quilter had once told me, “if a blind man on a galloping horse wouldn’t see it, it’s not worth worrying about”. So, I would leave it alone. . . . .done and used is better than perfect & unfinished.

I love your blocks! Will be waiting to see a picture of the completed top.

You shouldn’t have pointed to that because the first thing I did was go in and try to find it – and I can’t!! Those blocks are so gorgeous! I always think it’s such fun to see the blocks and then see the focus fabric!

Pam says

Get over it. Looks great.
    If we obsess over imperfections, we would get nothing accomplished. Remember, if we learn from our mistakes, then have made an positive accomplishment.

Glenda in Florida says

OK, I enlarged the photo and took a good look. I say leave it alone! When I’m not quite happy with a block, my rule is that I’ll rip it out and try again, once. If I make it better, that is a good thing, and I move on. If I make it worse, I’ll try one more time, to at least get back to the first boo-boo. All the major elements in the block are in place–only the very center is a tiny bit off, and if you don’t tell them, people will not notice.

And, now I’m going to have to go buy Stack-n-Whack-ipedia. I love S-n-W, but I’ve only made 6 so far, with one more cut out. I do have a shelf of Stack-n-Whackable fabrics held in reserve. I almost had myself convinced that I could just to a “4-Patch Stacked Posies” or a “Magical Slice and Dice” instead. Oh well–I have plenty of spare blades for the big rotary cutter, and I can just stack up those 8 layers and slice through them like butter.

Toni says

I’ve made 19 stack and whacks. They will not be perfect no matter how hard you try. It’s the nature of the fabric, not meant to be layered and cut.. It all depends on how much the fabric stretched when it was being printed as to whether the repeats are identical The colors in your blocks are beautiful.

Judy I thought that bird fabric was so yucky! I was wrong! It makes beautiful and interesting blocks. Don’t bother fixing that block. I think there is so much movement in the blocks that no one would really notice. Like my Grandmother used to say “If they are looking that close to find the mistake they are too close!”

Diane H in Alaska says

I agree with everyone else. It is going to make a nice quilt for someone and they will love the colors and the design. I agree with the first person. I have heard that statement and use it sometimes.

Few years back I had a quilt in several fairs for judging…. It made county.. regional.. state fairs… all got blue ribbons…. When I gave it to my brother and hung it up to brag on the bannister,,, He Says ‘YOU got a section upside down !’

I DID !! but all the quilt ladys at guild..and several judges….all while I hand quilted this… while I had profesional pics done……. NO one seen it…..

It was about a 6″ unit flipped around

and I sure didint fix it after all that.

carol fun says

ok – someone already beat me to the “it will never been seen from a galloping horse” comment – that was a favorite of my dear sainted grandma — I love this quilt – the colors are so pretty – yellow is my FAVORITE color, so i’m partial to these blocks -and I find that S&W is so exciting to see how each block is going to turn out – it is going to be a beautiful quilt — leave the block alone —

carol fun

Judy, leave it alone – it’s beautiful. I love the colors. My theory is that a little imperfection makes it uniquely yours. Besides, where is it?????
    Karen

Linda (Petey) Fritchen says

I don’t see it either, so just let me enjoy the beauty of the blocks and look forward to the finished quilt!!

Oh, Judy….PLEASE….you have GOT to be kidding, right???? Somebody would need to look with a magnifying glass and then they’d still be hard-pressed to find that. Your last line of your post is 100% correct…..so get over it, you silly girl!!!

I can’t find it either, it looks perfect to me, don’t worry about it! Very cool looking blocks too!

pdudgeon says

IF it upsets you, then my recomendation would be to rip the block and turn the points around so that what is on the outside star point now will be in the center.
    do the same for the 1st block, row 1 and last block, row 3.

do this only if you can’t live with it.

Rita Engard says

Oh these are such pretty blocks! I can’t tell you if you should redo one because I love them all. But then again I don’t know how much it will bother you when it’s all finished – me not so much. I have been auditioning fabrics for a 4 patch posie today – they are not as impressive as a S ‘n W but I don’t want to get too ambitious.
    Rita E in AZ

I would have never noticed it if you hadn’t mentioned it. I had to zoom in close to even try to find it. Don’t fret about it! I love the way the blocks look and the color scheme is really neat! :o)

Rebecca says

Just keep going! It’s not a big thing, and you won’t have to live with it. Geterdun!

Lynne in Hawaii says

Yes Judy, get over it! You are donating it. The receiver will never know there is a slight flaw because it is soooo little…they will simply enjoy it! (I had to magnify it to 200% before I thought I saw what you were fussing about…most people cannot see it. You see it because you know it is there.) All the blocks are breath taking by the way. Love the colors.

I’m of tHE galloping horse camp! You had to point it out to us, remember…

Besides, no quilt should be perfect… at least according to the Amish!

Hi Judy,
    The blocks look fabulous! Move the one that’s bothering you out of the middle and have some chocolate or a piece of cake or something! Congrats on working on a UFO!

Norma says

I agree with Pam, if you feel you must do anything, move it to the outside edge of the quilt. It is beautiful. I just love stack & whacks, each block is such a nice surprise. I made one with almost the same colors as yours.