A Lost Battle

Looks like I’m not getting my chickens.  It’s one of those things that both of us had to be in 100% agreement or it wouldn’t be pretty.  Vince never wanted chickens but he was going to do it because he knew how badly I wanted them.  Good Vince! 🙂

In the Fall, he’ll be teaching three nights a week.  It’s dark when he gets home from work.  I’m gone from home a lot and I don’t think Vince would be real happy about coming home in the dark, going out to deal with getting the chickens fed, checking their water, getting them in the coop; then going to teach class for three hours.  One night each week, he’ll go straight from work because he has to drive an hour to get to class, teach, then drive an hour home.  Chickens are not something he needs added to his already too busy days/nights.

We haven’t ruled it out completely for the future.  One day I won’t be gone from home so much and maybe we can reconsider chickens then.  I’m not sad . . I learned a long time ago that if Vince isn’t completely sold on something . . don’t do it because I’ll never hear the end of it.

And . . who knows . . maybe one day we’ll buy a little cabin on a trout stream in Arkansas and go there every weekend.  I’d hate to have that opportunity and have to say . . no thanks . . I have chickens! After this semester, Chad won’t be coming home every weekend so Vince and I will be free to go and do as we please.  I’m liking that . . can you tell?

There’s still hope for the garden, though I don’t see much activity in my back yard!

Comments

Aw… well dang it. But you made the right choice. You really need to put the chickens up at the same time every night or they can be a pain the butt to get in.

I happen to know of a cabin on 30 acres on the Big Piney Creek in AR that’s been on the market for a couple of years… 🙂

Bobbie says

Oh no Judy-just when I was thinking the very same way you are about getting them-I hold Holly, remember when I had those hens in Woodland Park and I got to where I really disliked them because they would peck me when I went to get their egg? I do not like “hen pecking” and was really thinking if I wanted to go thru that again. I’m probably going to go your way, but I’m making sure before I say-“forget it.” Hugs, Bobbie

Judy, for your gardern, have you ever heard the “Square Foot Gardening” method?? I have the book buried somewhere… just a sec!! Nope, didn’t see it. Anyway, he does have web pages too, but what I am trying to say, this is an easy way to garden that has wounderful results. Yes, to start is not easy breezey, but so is breaking up the ground with a tiller not all the much fun. It’s a nice method to work with though – no tillers ever needed again!! Even if I had thousands of acres of land to use, I would garden only with this method!! If you have not started your gardern site, I would recommend you check it out!! Goggle the name…..
    Chickens are a 24/7 type of thing, so it’s good you are thinking about it more. What about if you only had one or two, close the house, it would be easier than a whole hen house of them.
    Me, I have always wanted a duck, to live on my deck and my Dad thought I was crazy!! Till he went to visit a lady, and guess what she had living on her deck??!! I still didn’t get one, but he didn’t laugh at me anymore!!
    Good luck with the chicken debate. They would be good – the one or two of them – to help with the bugs in the garden………….;-)

Good point about being able to come and go as you please……..and, like you say, maybe someday (when you are a little old lady and staying at home all the time…..LOL)

It was good that you thought about the chickens and the care of them when you are out of town. Maybe you just need to find a friend with chickens you can visit once in a while. As far as the garden is concerned I hope you are able to plant at least something. Look up that Square Foot Garden method or Crocket’s Victory Garden. I used to plant my garden when I was teaching in OH before I left for the summer. When I arrived back about 1 1/2 months later I would harvest. Some items would not work that way for Arkansas, but a tilled garden take much more time and produces less. Unfortunately I must do a tilled garden here in KY due to the garden being on another person’s property.

Sorry you won’t be getting your chickens in short order. . . . is there a local farmer that has chickens? Perhaps you could arrange a “time share” situation with him. . . for working with the chickens for “x” amount of time you get “x” share of eggs that are produced, or something like that.

With an arrangement like that you could almost “have your chickens & eat your eggs” but not have to bother Vince with the daily work of them.

Have a wonderful day,

So sorry Judy !! You can come visit mine anytime you come to Florida ! They are nice and tame, follow me around like puppies. Glenda

I agree that having animals (or even a garden — I speak from experience here) limits what else you can do in your life. We never travel in gardening season as my husband would miss his plants too much. Luckily, we do have access to relatives who will cat sit.

But it is sad that you won’t have your chickens. I was looking forward to posts on their activities… Selfish of me, I know but I DO love reading about you and yours!

Are you sure there aren’t any chicken/dog sitters in your area that could care for the chickens (and Speck) when you are out of town?

Well, darn. I was so looking forward to hearing what you named them! They were, after all, going to live the good life on your farm! xo

Awwww man!! I was looking forward to your stories!!!
    I’ll be crossing my fingers for the cabin in the woods though. 🙂
    dawn

I’m not surprised to hear you like the freedom that comes from having Chad move out. I love my boys and miss them but I really value the life and opportunities that Keith and I have now that we don’t have kids at home.

We call that out of the corner of the eyes look “giving us the hairy eyeballs”. Toast does it all the time.

Holly

Judy,
    I have enjoyed reading your chicken saga. I will post photographs I display of my grandmothers and their chickens.
    Chickens were the property of women on most farms, so the egg money was their spending money. It was a bit of independence when women did not have much wealth.
    I wondered why as an I was so scared of chickens until I brought my then 3 year old son to visit some–and they were nearly as tall as he was. It was my job as a child to collect eggs, so when you are eye to eye with one of those things, no wonder a fear comes over you when by proportion, they would now be 5 foot chickens!
    Lynn