Redecorating

Vince decided the baby chicks’ setup wasn’t quite right.  We had a long trough type feeder in their Rubbermaid home.  If we put just a little bit of feed in there, they almost had to stand on their heads to get to the food.  So, we filled it up to the top and then the chicks could just stand on the floor and peck, peck, peck . . no diving to get to the food.  But then they looked at the food trough, they huddled and they came to the collective conclusion that sitting on top of the red trough was a fantastic idea.  But what they didn’t discuss while in the huddle was that they’d be pooping right in their food!  Vince went shopping after work and bought a new feeder . . kinda like the watering bottle we use.

Vince decided they needed a roost already so he came up with a plan for making them a roost.   Then we cleaned out the Rubbermaid home and other than going down to check on them and make sure they’re happy and don’t have any wishes we can fulfil before bedtime, we’re done with the chickens for the day!

Notice the need feeding setup and the new roost!  There’s a thick plastic film over the top of those hollow tubes so don’t worry that a baby chick might end up in there.

Comments

That’s a much better feeder for them. But poop is a fact of life with these babies – or with all babies. Trash in/trash out! LOL. I just played the video again for Daisy — she’s still sitting under my desk whining!

I love baby chicks! I grew up on the farm and every spring we went to get our baby chicks in their cardboard boxes and hauled them home. We would get several hundred. Some eventually went in the freezer, the rest were setting hens for eggs. Enjoy them as they don’t stay little very long!

Okay Judy, I’ve raised a lot of baby chicks in the past and I have to say, this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone give the little guys a roost! LOL Now I’m totally curious if they use it at that young age… please do keep us posted! That’s just hilarious! :)~~

Vince did good! They are so cute. My hubby watched the video because he could hear Speck barking, he was disappointed he couldn’t see the chicks and Speck. I will have to go back and look for a Speck video.

dawn says

those little rascals are growing. Like the new home. gives them a little more room as they grow. they look happy and content as chicks can be.
    Vince is such a good “daddy” to make them a roost.LOL
    you sure his brothers are all married???? ha ha

OOOO are we naming them? I vote for Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack, Pack, Quack………. Ok, so these are variations of the duckling names in Make Way for Ducklings……….

Let’s see……. Bick, Chick, Dick, Flick, Gick, Hick. ………… somehow those don’t trip my trigger as well as the other ones.

Or how about Keith, Laurie, Danny, Chris and Tracy…. Greg, Marcia, Jan, Peter, Bobby and Cindy

I think I need more coffee.

Hugs!!
    Nancy

Katie says

I just have to say that I’m glad you got your chickens. My hubby and I moved into an old farm house complete with a chicken coop (needing some repair) and a ginormous barn. I had hopes for goats and chickens, but no…”they stink” he says and that’s the end of that. So I get to live vicariously through you to have my chickens! Thanks for sharing them and your experiences.

Linda says

Vince seems to be getting right into the spirit of this chicken raising. Now you just need to get Speck on board.