Wheat to Bread

It doesn’t take much to entertain me but when I can go from this:

Rinsed Wheat

Rinsed Wheat

to this:

Fresh Whole Wheat Flour

Fresh Whole Wheat Flour

and then to this in just a bit over an hour,

Fresh Whole Wheat Bread

Fresh Whole Wheat Bread

I’m amazed!  Well, it did take a bit of help from these guys:

Honey, Oil, Yeast, Gluten, Dough Enhancer, Salt and Water

Honey, Oil, Yeast, Gluten, Dough Enhancer, Salt and Water

The most amazing thing is . . I took a picture before slicing off a hunk of that bread.  You know how it is . . I have to make sure it’s fit to feed my family! 🙂

sig

Comments

Judy do you buy farm wheat (not intended for human consumption) that you rinse your berries? Gosh… suddenly I’m feeling gross and unclean… LOL I never rinse my berries prior to grinding them. Ew… that’s like using unwashed veggies isn’t it?

I don’t rinse my rice either. Funny. I do rinse all my beans. Oh lord this is a disturbing thought so early in the morning.

• says

/grin

I’m pretty sure animal wheat is fine for human consumption… I guarantee if I were hungry I’d buy it without a qualm… but I’d be washing it! Hehe

Ah Ha another taste tester….have to be sure it’s yummy for the family. I’m amazed at how effortlessly you whip up so many yummy things.
    Thanks for sharing….I so enjoy your blog.

Julianne says

Judy I am wondering if the flour you grind has more fiber than the whole wheat flour that can be bought? I know it would taste better because it is fresh ground.

Husbands doctor told us that whole wheat store bought bread was not much better than white bread, only slightly better. I would be happy to bake our bread but I am not ready to start grinding my own wheat. Yet.

• 3.1

There is lots of info online about the nutritional advantages of fresh ground whole wheat vs. storebought packaged whole wheat. I can’t remember all the details but I think within 24 hours, the flour begins to lose some of the nutrients. I grind the wheat just when I’m getting ready to use it.

If you want something really good, boil your wheat berries in water for an hour or so (until tender), drain and rinse, add a little salt, and eat it for breakfst with non-fat half and half and sugar. This is a Christmas breakfast tradition in our family. My older daughter makes it frequently for her family…you will love it

I’m new to wheat grinding and now we are very spoiled! I blame Judy, not really blame–I should say I thank her! I’m also using my smoker more than ever and just yesterday I bought a new canner kettle so I can have the good fruits and veggies again–it’s been a few years since I’ve done that. Looks like we may be trying to get healthier!

Thanks Judy for being a such good influence in my life. 🙂

• 5.1

Blame me . . I blame others . . pass it on! 🙂 At least I’m convincing you to do good things and not bad things! Right?

Looks really good!

Glad you have enough wheat to last for awhile. The guys might’ve saved a coffee can full this year and that’s it.

Tasting the bread reminds me of when I was a child. We never knew the chicken mom fried up had a heart or a gizzard. She “tasted” them to make sure the chicken was good! Some things never change — we women just want to make sure the food we prepare is the best for our families!

Judy, I’ve looked all over your blog for your whole wheat bread recipe and can’t seem to locate it. Could you please let me know where it is posted?
    Thanks! Kat

Deb says

I am amazed that you do that, AN you can do it in an hour! That woudl be an all day process for me! but then, i think my quilting is the same….

• 11.1

Only if you want it to be! It’s a very quick process and I believe you’d have a hard time making it last much longer than an hour or two.

Do you do an egg white wash across the top of the risen loaf? I took wheat directly from a friend’s bin and used it for bread. I found a cracked wheat berry bread online that was pretty yummy.

Did you know you can make your own dough enhancer? Just by adding white vinegar and gluten. It’s a lot more economical and the results are awesome!

• 13.1

I do know you can make your own but several of the ingredients, I can’t get here so if I’m going to order, I just order the dough enhancer already made.

• says

Over the years, I have also seen the dough enhancer recipes that call for lecithin and other things I don’t have around the house or are expensive to buy.

But here’s this one that I found this spring that (IMHO) is easy and readily available (and cheap):
        Add 1/3 Cup potato flakes, 1 Tablspoon gluten and 1 Tablespoon white vinegar to your bread recipe.

That’s it! The instant potato flakes will give your bread a softer texture, the gluten will strengthen the air bubbles that help with the rising and the vinegar does somethng else (sorry, I don’t remember what- but something helpful!)

For me, at least, these are not items that are expensive or require me to go to the store. And the bread comes out better than ever!

Okay now we all need to know where the recipe is and exactly what dough enhancer is and how to make it! blessings, marlene

• 14.1

I just posted in the comment above the 3 ingredient recipe that I’ve started using! It really seems to make a noticeable difference!

BEAUTIFUL BREAD!!!! I am still working on perfecting making homemade bread. Definitely not where yours is yet. 🙂