Basil, Mozzarella & Tomato Salad

When I mentioned that we use a bunch of basil, many wanted to know what we use it for.   Over the next few weeks, I’ll share some of the recipes I use.  A lot of my recipes aren’t really written and I just throw stuff together so if you’re making some of these, feel free to add or leave out as desired.

Basil, Mozzarella & Tomato Salad

2 – 3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut or torn into bite size pieces
black olives, pitted and drained (as many as you like)
red pepper flakes, as many as desired
sea salt
black pepper
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces (mainly to break the leaves so they release more flavor)
1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
1/2 c. olive oil
4 T. balsamic vinegar
2 – 3 cloves garlic, chopped

Mix the balsamic, olive oil and garlic.  Set aside.

Place the tomatoes, black olives, mozzarella, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl with a tight fitting lid.

DSC07795

Pour the vinaigrette mixture the salad.  Stir well.  Refrigerate several hours before serving.  While it’s sitting in the fridge, stir every now and then.  If the bowl doesn’t leak, just turn it upside down and then after a while, turn it right side up again.

DSC07796

This will keep for several days in the fridge but it is better the first or second day.

sig

Comments

Shame about the Dr. Pepper…. I did enjoy reading your blog. That Basil tomato salad sounded so good…I went out to the garden and got a few this morning…so plan to try when I leave the computer. Yum!

Peggy says

You have great timing with the tomato salad. We received some tomatoes today, some yellow, some red and the rest pink. I planned to make a salad for dinner to go with the steak we are having and your recipe sounds great. Actually I can’t make your salad exactly like your recipe, but near enough. I am going to use some sheep milk feta (low salt) cheese instead of the mozzarella and no olives. We don’t like olives Thanks Judy.

Wow, that looks wonderful! I’d probably leave out the garlic. Just never have enjoyed it that much. I’ve definitely got this on my list of to-makes for this weekend!

Donna says

Where do you get fresh mozzarella in Nevada Missouri?? I’ve never seen it here in Tulsa and I LOVE it!! 🙂

Mine is even simpler
    Chop tomaotes into a bowl
    shake some balsamic vinegar, olive oil & cracked black pepper over the tomatoes, stir.
    Finely chop an onion or shallot, add to the tomato mixture & stir again.
    Chop the mozzarella add to the tomatoes & stir again.
    tear some basil, add to the mix, stir again.

I served mine right away…

I just mixed up my version. Wish I had some mozzarella and olives. I did have a WallaWalla sweet onion and I used red and yellow cherry tomatoes. It’s very pretty and smells delicious. I may have to have some for breakfast. 😉

Do the tomatoes have to be peeled? I like them so much better with the skin on. I’m going to make it for my girls’ night in for Friday. I’ll have to leave out the red pepper though. Not a lot of my friends like spicy stuff.