Does anyone remember the river of tears I cried when Chad left last semester? You don’t remember? I do! Here’s one of the stories I wrote about it and there were many . . too many! We survived the semester probably totally because he came home on weekends.
Then he came home for the summer and I wondered why I had been so sad when he left. Seriously, I was thrilled to have him home but:
- The downstairs bathroom belongs to Chad and when he’s back, I have to run upstairs every time I have to go! Worse, Speck is always down there with me and he gets kinda crazy if I leave him downstairs and since we don’t let him go up and down the stairs, I have to carry him up and carry him back down . . every time I have to go to the bathroom.
- My sewing machine is right outside Chad’s bedroom door. The longarm is across the room but it makes a bit more noise than does the sewing machine so I try not to use either til Chad’s awake. Sometimes he works late; too often he just plain stays out too late. Heck, he’s 21. That’s what he’s supposed to do. I understand but I’ve spent too many mornings this summer waiting for him to get up so I can sew.
- His music . . some of it I like; some of it makes me want to rip out his speakers . . If I had a dollar for every time I’ve said “please turn down the stereo”, I’d be a rich woman.
- Food . . the kid eats so much! I cook, I have leftovers and I get ready to serve them to Vince for lunch and they’re gone! Chad came in from work late and ate them.
- The garage – 2 out of 3 times when he comes home from anywhere, he pops his hood and sprays something on something. The something smells like WD-40. It may be WD-40. I haven’t asked what it is but my garage smells like WD-40.
- Sleep – I must have my sleep. When Chad’s out, I kinda sleep with one eye open til he gets home. Half the time, he’ll send me a text message when he gets home to see if I’m awake. If I am . . he wants to talk! Usually about something he’s going to invent or the way he plans to earn his first $1 million. These conversations last for a long time!
This morning he packed his belongings in his car and headed back to school. There wasn’t much room left in the car once he got everything in there!
The funny (or not so funny!) thing was . . last night we had given him checks for everything . . housing, tuition, books . . and then he came back upstairs and said: Oh, what am I going to do about a TV this semester? Did you remember that I need a new one?
Vince and I both looked at each other and shook our heads. Last semester Chad decided the TV he had wasn’t quite good enough and gave it away at the end of the semester. Vince and I both decided that Chad works . . we pay for school; if he wants a new TV . . he’s paying for it and he can get anything, any size, he wants! It will be interesting to see if he buys a new TV or does without.
Chad will still be coming home on weekends so that makes his leaving a bit easier.
Did I cry when he left this morning? What do you think? Seriously, I could have without much effort but I didnt. Vince is out of town so I’ve had another day to myself. A day with music as loud as I want it and being able to use the bathroom downstairs. Doesn’t take much to make me happy!