If you’re not a sock knitter, just skip over this post. If you’re a wannabe sock knitter, you might want to continue reading. If you are already a sock knitter, you probably know about Soctoberfest. It’s basically a celebration of sock knitting for the entire month of October. We are encouraged to set goals for how many socks we think we can knit, or we choose a pattern we’ve been really wanting to knit and commit to doing it, or decide to knit up that special yarn we’ve been holding onto forever . . saving for something special.
October is a busy month for me as I have three long trips to make but my goals for Soctoberfest are:
- Finish dark blue socks
- Finish turqouise socks
- Finish blue/pink striped socks
- Make a pair of socks from some older yarn (lime)
- Make a pair of socks from some new yarn (dark pink — as in just bought last week)
Now, what about you who are wanting to knit socks. I hear it all the time . . you’re really wanting to learn to knit socks. I was right there with you for years . . wanting to knit socks but never would try it. Finally Susan sent me yarn, needles and a pattern and I got started and haven’t stopped knitting. It was October 5, 2006 when I cast on my first pair of socks.
In this drawer are 20 pairs of hand knitted socks. There are at least 5 pairs in the laundry. I hand wash them all so they kinda stack up in the dirty sock bucket! TMI? I can think of at least 10 pairs that I’ve given away. That’s almost 1 pair a month . . . doesn’t see possible because I know it’s been forever since I finished a pair.
Here’s my challenge to you:
- If you’re a sock knitter and you have time to participate in Socktoberfest, set a goal for yourself and get it done! It can be to finish one pair of socks or whatever works for you.
- If you’re a wannabe sock knitter, make a commitment to either take lessons or have a friend teach you to knit socks and get started during October, 2009. No time like the present and if you don’ take that first step and do it, it’s never going to happen.
Share your goals or don’t but just do something that makes you happy!