Such Willpower

There’s only so much blame I can place on my friends (one friend in particular lately).  In between classes this week, she asked what I wanted to do and I said “can we go to the quilt shop?”  Oh, sure  . . she could have said NO!  But, she didn’t . . she drove me right to the closest quilt shop.  We both enthusiastically walked into that shop, headed straight to the sale shelves, loaded up, found a few things from the not on sale shelves, had our fabric cut, paid our bills, started to walk out of the shop and ran into two sisters . . one of whom had taken up knitting socks after she sat behind me on a bus trip for hours and hours while I was knitting socks.  They told me about a yarn shop nearby which was owned by their niece so . . I said to my friend “can we go to the yarn shop?” And . . she drove me over there!

I don’t feel bad about the fabric (though I really don’t ever feel bad about my purchases) because most of this is already designated for a project.

DSC08194

The four fabrics on the right go with the fabric on the right . . not the same collection or anything but they do match and I think I can get the look I’m trying to get, though I may not even use the fabric on the left in this particular quilt.

DSC08195

A couple of batiks with no purpose in mind but I liked the.

DSC08193

Yarn . . pretty yarn; soft, fluffy yarn.  Enough yarn for 8 pairs of socks.

sig

Comments

Carol says

What pretty yarn. You make me want to knit socks. I made one pair many years ago out of fingering yarn. The socks never stayed up and they bunched up inside my shoes. What type of yarn do you use?

pdudgeon says

love all that yarn! YUM!
    the fabrics in your top photo do go well together. I see you managed to get the purple in there as well, but we all know that a Judy without purple fabric is not a happy Judy.

Yesterday I stopped at Joann’s to get one skein of yarn. That was all I was going to get – one skein to go with two others my sister gave me to use up, so I could crochet a small afghan. Unfortunately, they didn’t carry that line, but I managed to walk out with 5 yds of flannel and 8 yds (total) of three different prints to make Stack-n-whacks, because I finally got three (count them – all of three) blocks done on my first one. So clearly I need to have the supplies for three more quilts because I got three blocks done on the first one….right?

I found where I can order the yarn online – but it will cost $5 in shipping for $3 in yarn. That doesn’t seem right, so I started browsing other yarn. Then I shut down the program, and will have to rethink this plan!

Yea, right, you’re not going to add any fabric or yarn for the rest of the year. That is 3 months of not going to a fabric or yarn shop. Now, really, Judy!

JoAnna says

Oh, I would have to use those fabrics with the stars and moon fabrics – they are just perfect together! All of my yarn stash is in Colorado and I just moved to FL – wish I could have brought it (and my fabric) with me. Hopefully we will all be reunited soon!

I am going to take the sock challenge. I have had yarn and needles for at least 3 years. Tried knitting them on my own for about 30 minutes and put the supplies away. The yarn shop here will help but she works too fast for slow me! I went in so many times, to ask questions, that I became embarrased. I love socks and this is something I really want to do – I am trying one more time. By the way you bought some beautiful fabric!

• 11.1

Eve says

Sue, if you go to http://www.knittinghelp.com and go to the “view videos” page, there are quite a number of videos you can watch for learning how to knit, and the different stitches/methods, etc. It has been a really great resource. Excellent site. Hope this gets you where you can get those socks done—and not have to feel foolish for bugging the lady at the yarn shop. Eve

Cindy says

“Really . . I’m not adding anything else to the sock yarn or fabric stash for the rest of this year!”

hehhehehehehhehehehhehe

Eve says

Judy, would you mind if I posted a link to the site whose knitting videos helped (and still help) me tremendously—for Sue Lord? It’s a great asset to have, especially when you can’t get to the yarn store to get help. Eve

Oh…sure…yes…we DO believe you that you aren’t going to add anymore yarn or fabric for the rest of the year……..please excuse me while I pick myself up from off the floor where I fell because of laughing so hard!

Darlene S says

Judy, I love your sock yarns, especially the blue/purple ones and the teal/tan too. I’m known as the “purple” fabric lady in my guild too. I don’t believe you can stay out of shops for the rest of the year either. Dar