Pumpkin Scones

DSC08493I could have sworn I took a picture of these on the plate, which would look much nicer than sitting on the wire rack but . . it isn’t on my camera so I guess I didn’t!

These smelled so good baking and they taste pretty good too.

Pumpkin Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
8 T. sugar
1 scant T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
6 T. butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
4 T. milk or Half & Half
1 large egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix butter, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.

Add pumpkin, milk and egg.  Mix just til mixture is completely blended.  Do not mix any longer than necessary.

Pat out onto floured surface either into a circle or a rectangle.  Cut into wedges (6 or 8).

DSC08486

If desired, sprinkle a little sugar on each wedge.  Bake for 18 – 20 minutes.

DSC08490

Cool on wire rack.  Stick the parchment paper under the wire rack and that will catch any drippings when adding the glaze and icing.

DSC08491sm

Glaze:

3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 T. milk or Half & Half

Mix, adding more milk or powdered sugar as needed to get consistency desired.  Brush or spread thinly onto cooled scones.

DSC08492

Once the glaze hardens, add the spiced icing.

Spiced Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
3 T. milk or Half & Half
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. gound nutmeg

Spread or drizzle over scones.

DSC08493

Comments

Judy: I think I am going to have to stop reading your blog, I think I’ve gained 10 pounds since I started reading it and these scones won’t help for sure they sound so yummy. Stop beating yourself up over the fabric purchases!

Thank you! I have about a 1/2 cup of pumpkin in the fridge just waiting for a home and those look like the perfect place for it. Can’t wait until morning.

Thanks for sharing your recipe…these sound yummy. I tried a new apple crisp recipe today that turned out yucky…never use that one again!

Rebecca says

Thank you so much! I was going to make the recipe in Quilter’s Home magazine, and have some pumpkin, but realized I don’t have some other necessary ingredients.

Question: do you “cut” the cold butter into the dry ingredients? (They usually say until it resembles cornmeal).

Also, isn’t 8 tablespoons (sugar) 1/2 cup? and therefore 4 tablespoons (milk) 1/4 cup? (I’m lazy & like to do as little measuring as possible).

• 8.1

Rebecca says

Couldn’t wait for an answer, so that’s how I went ahead and did it. I guess it was right, because they turned out great! Now to try to figure out why my icing came out SO much thinner than yours! At least with the parchment paper underneath, I’ve discovered a way to make my own almond-spice coffee sweetener!

Cecilia says

Thank you for your recipe. Will be making these today!!!
    Someone left your website address for another recipe. So here I am checking your recipes. Thanks, again,
    Cecilia