Someone commented that I probably have a spreadsheet for keeping up with what’s in the freezer. Of course I do! Do you think I can keep up with all that in my head? NO! There’s too much else bouncing around in there. If you can keep up with what goes in and out of your freezer in your head, that’s great. It takes me less time to keep a spreadsheet than it would to dig around in the freezer trying to remember and find what’s in there.
Items that work well in the freezer:
- Meatloaf – partially cook, thaw in fridge and finish baking. I do this with Sweet & Sour Meatloaf and an Italian Meatloaf.
- Meatballs – brown but not necessarily cook all the way through. Flash freeze. Thaw before dropping into simmering sauce.
- Spaghetti Sauce – I freeze it without the meatballs.
- Gina’s Italian Sausage Soup – I don’t put the tortellini in it until right before serving.
- Red Beans & Sausage – Make fresh rice, cornbread and the meal is done!
- Stuffed Green Peppers
- Taco Soup
I do not freeze anything that has mayo or salad dressings. Mostly, I do not freeze anything that has pasta. I don’t like the texture of it after it’s been frozen. I also don’t normally freeze soups or casseroles that have milk or cream. It tends to separate or become grainy after freezing.
I’ll try to remember to post a note on recipes I share and let you know if they freeze well or not.