Bringing Home the Bacon

Not really the bacon but dinner nonetheless:

Chad left to go hunting this morning at 5 a.m. when the temp was about 4°.  Before 8 a.m. I heard the garage door open and I thought . . Yep, it’s too cold out there for him.  He’s back early! I was wrong!  He and his friend got their daily limit of 2 each right off the bat!

Look at the size of this goose!  They’re so heavy!  Chad had them in a bag and I could hardly lift the bag.

I know what we’re having for dinner if he gets at least one of them cleaned in time for me to brine it and cook it for tonight.  If not tonight . . tomorrow night!

Comments

Way to go, Chad! That is awesome! I had heard the geese were really thick right now, and with the extreme cold, they are feeding a lot, so that makes them a little easier to hunt!

DH would be jealous, but just left for a work-trip. He will have to hunt this weekend.

Judy, if you can soak those goose breasts in milk overnight or for a couple of days they taste MUCH better! Takes some of the gamey flavor out.

Awesome!

Nice!!! I’ve never tasted wild goose. So……is the goose called with the same sound as the duck? Or does he have a different call for the goose? I find this kind of intriguing since hubby is thinking of goose hunting.

Evelyn says

He looks happy! Yes – cooking wild game wrapped in bacon is an excellent suggestion from Vicki. Also – save that goose fat – it is very expensive to buy in the gourmet stores. It is great for frying potato cubes in – among other things! Looks like you will be trying some new recipes soon! Cheers! Evelyn

Kelly E says

WOW!!! Way to go Chad! Those look like huge geese. I wonder also what it tastes like, I’m not sure I’ve ever had goose or duck now that I stop and think about it.

Hopefully he’ll think he has the “call” down now so he won’t have to practice so much haha.

Sandra (Sandy Gail) says

Huge birds! Be prepared for lots of fat cooking off. Also wild geese ooze more blood than I like to deal with. But you will make a grand meal of that goose with your cooking talents. Let us know how you like it. I will never cook another one!

Be sure to show us these fellows when they are in “food” form and don’t have their little heads still on them, okay??? 🙂

How goes the cleaning and cooking? We finally have our elk done, so we’re taking a breather here. Tell Chad, “Well done!” He sure looks happy and proud. Well, in the second picture that is. In the first he’s probably thinking, “Snap it fast, Mom, these are heavy!” 🙂

Wow, I guess all that duck calling practice paid off or at least made it bearable at this point……let us know how the dinner turns out.

KatieQ says

Wow those are some huge geese. After taking such a short time to catch them it really left a lot of time today to do other things. I hope that did not include more duck calls.

Kathy C says

I live in Oregon now but spent more than half my life in New Jersey.
    NONE of this makes any sense to me. I am amazed that you “country” girls know so much about cleaning and preparing all this wild stuff.
    But then again, I can shuck an oyster clean in 15 seconds and poach a spring chinook salmon that is ‘to die for’.

• 20.1

Hey, I can shuck and clean an oyster and eat that rascal raw in a heartbeat! Learned that living in southwest Louisiana. Salmon . . I have to wait for those to thaw before I can do anything with them! What I wouldn’t give for FRESH salmon!

Sandy says

Way to go Chad! All that duck call practicing paid off. Can’t wait to hear how your dinner went, Judy.

Great geese! So how did you cook them? We had a flock of Canadian Geese fly over yesterday, but they frown at shooting them in the middle of the city, so no geese for us. Not that I’d know what to do with them anyway LOL.

Trish says

I won’t let my husband or son hunt geese, because geese mate for life. I can remember eating them as a child (my step-father at the time was an avid hunter), but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it now. Deer, squirrels and rabbits are no problem, and even the quail I raise for eating, but not geese…YUCK! lol