How About a Quiltathon?

We used to have monthly Quiltathons and then I got sidetracked with getting Weekend Quilts finished.  Due to requests from blog readers, I’m going to start doing them again.

If you’ve never participated in a Quiltathon, you can go here and read about it.  It’s no stress . . no demands . . just try to plan ahead and get as much sewing done as you can on one weekend.  I know and you know there’s never going to be any one date that works for everyone so if you can’t participate in one, maybe you can participate in another one.

The first 2010 Quiltathon will be January 16 and 17, 2010.

Start planning now!  Cook some food you can stick in the freezer.  Soup, Chili, Spaghetti & Meatballs, Meatloaf! Maybe use the crockpot . . red beans, sausage and rice sounds good this time of year!  I always make something kinda special that’s quick that I can pull out and my family thinks I went to extreme effort for them! 🙂   During the summer, I canned peach pie filling.  I use storebought pie crusts (Bad Judy!) so I can stick a pie crust in the pan, dump in the canned pie filling, slap another crust on top, bake the pie and announce . . Peach Pie & Ice Cream and my family loves me and won’t even notice I’ve been downstairs sewing for 2 straight days!

Another thing that helps is to be sure you have everything you will need ready.  Fabric washed and maybe even cut, fresh rotary blade if needed, new needle in the machine, machine cleaned and oiled, bobbins wound, noise cancelling headphones! 🙂

Please try to join us if you can!

Comments

Judy, I have been watching you gals for a while but do not belong to the quilt group or ring. I tried to join but gave up. 🙂 anyway if I do the quilt a thon will I be able to post to the linky

I love you Judy! You picked the best weekend for me that you could have – I will be kid-less that weekend, and can spend the whole time quilting, guilt-free. 🙂 I’m looking forward to it already.

Sandra (Sandy Gail) says

Right on, Judy! January and February are my favorite quilting months! So beef stew and hot cornbread with apple pie made from summer’s apples at my house.

Oh, I’m disappointed. That’s the holiday weekend and I’m going away for four days. But I did plan on bringing some quilting to do with me. So I’ll be with you in spirit.

I’ve never done a quiltathon and only made a couple of tied quilts. I have a quilt pattern waiting for “someday” and a fabric stash that will maybe only need a small coordinated yardage purchase from the local variety store. I’m going to put it on my calendar. Woo Hoo!! A quilting weekend.

Marilyn Smith says

It is R2CA weekend! Sounds like fun but the quilt show will probably win for my time. Hope you can return next year with your new book!

Marilyn

I am going to try and do some sewing on Sunday. I am babysitting on Saturday and I am sure that the 4 and 7 yr olds will not want to watch me sew.

I was thinking about the quilt a thon’s a couple of weeks ago. You’re timing is great. I have material for a snowflake quilt and a couple of requests (my kids) and I need the motivation to get going. Last year when I participated I didn’t have a blog to post to so I am excited and ready to go now.

Christy Q says

Sounds fun – my mom, sister-in-law and I will all be meeting up next weekend for our second annual quilt retreat and I’m revved up and ready to go. Just need to find a pretty large scale print so I can get my fabrics set. It’s awfully hard to find large scale prints that appeal to me. So wish me luck this weekend as I go on my quilt store journey!

Lydia says

Oh, boy! This may just be the kick in the seat of the pants I’ve been needing. So far this year I haven’t done a bit of sewing, though I’ve been “meaning” to every day! This is NOT the way to finish UFOs, or even to start fun new things! I’m looking forward to next weekend, now. Saturday morning I have a meeting to go to, but after that, I’m clear all weekend — and Friday’s clear for me most of the day, so I think I’ll start then 😉

• 21.1

KatieQ says

This is delightful news. I am excited at the chance to be a part of the quiltathon. Hopefully, I’ll be able to figure out how to participate with my new blog.

• Karla says

I love the idea of a quiltathon. I work evenings but can spend most of the day in my sewing room and will try to figure out how to link my blog so I can show my progress.

I have a question about noise cancelling headphones – I got some Sony ones for Christmas and they didn’t work at all. What kind do you use? I’m hoping to find some in the under $100 price range….

Love the Idea! Will try to take part on the next one.

That weekend in OKC. OK is a large quilt show at the Cox convention Center. AND the Home and Garden Show at the OKC Fairground.

Somehow I do not think I will get much quilting done.

Have fun.

pdudgeon says

oh boy, i’m all set!
    I’ve got my supply of blueberries laid in (for my blueberry pancake treat that morning) and i have a quilt already in mind to piece with strips from my stash. now a trip to stock up on rotery cutter blades, and i’ll be ready.
    thanks for starting these up again, Judy!

I’ll be thinking of you all sewing away while I’m at the Road quilt show! That only happens once a year, so, sorry, kiddo, it wins out! LOL Can’t wait to see your quilt pattern! I’m going to wish I had been able to do it – I already know that! xo

Sounds like fun, but since my nephew is getting married on the 16th, I’ll not be able to join until Sunday…But you know? I have that Monday off from work. I’ll get two days in anyway!

The 15th is my birthday so I can have fun quilting that week-end, right??? Gotta break the news to the family! No big surprise to them that I choose to quilt. My shirt says what my tag line is on my e-mail.
    “To quilt or not to quilt, DUH… I’ve quilted three small quilts on my DSM this week already. Can’t wait to see what project you have for us.

Carol says

Oh, I’ll be out most of Saturday. Wait, that’s a 3-day weekend for me! I’ll just be a day behind. Woo hoo!

I have really missed the Quiltathons and even though I don’t/can’t always participate I like to think of this worldwide quilting bee going on that I can enjoy. Thank you Judy – now to go plan some meals, even though my husband can and does cook.

Darn, I’m out of town that weekend but I’ll be thinking of you while I’m sitting on the beach or beside the pool reading!

Julie H. says

I’m in. My husband asked where this was to be held. When I explained “In the sewingroom” he thought we were crazy.