First Wollmeise Socks

These are the first pair of socks I’ve made using the Wollmeise 100% wool yarn.

The bottom sock looks darker in the picture but it isn’t.  I had read that the yarn was a bit splitty so I paid closer attention to what I was doing  and didn’t have any trouble with it splitting.  It feels great.  The twist is very tight and it gives a great definition to the stitches.  They feel fantastic on my feet (so says my feet!).  I agree that this is a fantastic yarn and worth the effort to find it!

The only problem with this yarn is that it is really, really hard to get!  The Loopy Ewe has it every now and then or you can order it directly from the dyer in Germany.  She updates here website twice a week . . once at 1 a.m. my time.  She doesn’t always have the sock yarn and when she does, it’s gone in a matter of seconds!  Of course, there’s sometimes someone selling it on ebay or someone who has it in their stash will sell it every now and then.  Maybe its scarcity is part of what makes it so fun to get but it really is great to knit and great to wear.

Comments

Yeah for fabulously yummy new socks! Can’t wait to see the next pair.

I will not look, I can’t look! I’m not even going to try…..what was that url again???

I’m always jealous when you blog about your wonderful socks. Not only do I not know how to knit, I am allergic to wool. I can remedy the first, but the allergy is out of my control. Do you ever use other types of fibers to knit?

Thanks so much Judy. (This opinion may change shortly) I just placed my first order at The Loopy Ewe. Nothing exotic, but wool and a needle for two-at-a-time socks. No more second sock syndrome for me! You just keep corrupting us!

Lydia says

Pretty! I love green and teal anyway, so these socks would be a hit with me on color alone. Thanks for sharing 😉

Darlene S says

I also love the color. They will go well with most colors of slacks and for sure with jeans, which I live in during the winter months. I’ll just have to take your word they feel as nice as they look. That wool is totally out of my price range – not to mention I haven’t learned to make 1 sock yet!! 🙂 Dar

Tamara says

After reading you posts about knitting socks I was more than determined to learn to make a pair. I could knit but could not grasp purling. With the help of some friends, I did it. I am now making my first pair of socks with yarn to make 3 more pair. What type of needles do you use?