I’m No Cow Expert

This time of year as I’m driving through the countryside, I see so many brand new baby calves.  I want to stop and take pictures but most of the time, stopping along a highway isn’t real safe and I’ve passed up the perfect baby calf before I realize it was a Kodak moment.

As I was driving home yesterday, I saw this cow and it was worth turning around, going back and getting a picture.  I’m no cow expert but something just isn’t right with these horns!

I tried everything to get her to look at me but she wasn’t about to face the camera.  I guess she knows something isn’t right.  The black cow . . I don’t think he or she was too happy about being photographed and after a few shots, after honking the horn, whistling . . everything I could think of to get the brown cow to look at me and say “cheeeezzzzzz”, the black cow kept coming closer and closer and that barbed wire fence didn’t look very sturdy so I decided this was the best shot I was going to get.

Have you ever seen such crooked horns?

Comments

Cindy says

My hair kind of looks like that when I get up in the mornings.

And why are you so sure that was a GIRL cow?

patti says

isn’t that what quilters call asymetrical? it’s an art cow!

i thot only “he”s had horns, are cows different? after all you did say you weren’t a cow expert, so i figure that might be a case of mistaken identity.

• 3.1

Trish says

I’m somewhat of a cow expert … have two farms and raise beef cattle on both of them. He’s and She’s both have horns.

That cow looks like a Texas Longhorn. Frequently farmers will breed a Longhorn to a heifer (a cow that hasn’t been bred, yet) because Longhorns have smaller calves.

I have no idea why that horn is crooked. Maybe the cow got it caught in a fence when it was a young calf and the horn got twisted. Just a thought.

I’ve stopped at the roadside to do exactly the same thing. Only my family was with me and they thought I was nuts. Well, it’s true so I guess you could be too. Just joking! Anyway those horns look like bicycle pedals and they look like they need to be cranked or something.

Hmm, I am somewhat a cow expert as well, but rather of – gasp – dead ones. Meaning the hide of them or somewhat later the leather. So from my point of view I am glad you didn’t rile them up and made them run into the barbed wire and leave even more scratches on the ‘future’ leather…;) One of the reasons they have a lot of electrical fences in other countries. Love the horns though: it’s called individuality? Or punk? Or “you-can-kiss-my-horn-goodbye”?

atypical? yes! unusual? yes. seen something similar? yes. most certainly a long horn or long horn crossbreed. i can just imagine you standing onthe roadside trying to get its attention!

Bobbie says

iTS A lONGHORN-MOST LONGHORNS HAVE THEIR HORNS MOSTLY THE SAME, BUT THIS ONE EVENTLY HAD TROUBLE SOMEWHERE ALONG THE ROAD BEFORE SHE-HE WAS BORN OR SOMETIME RIGHT AFTER. HUGS, BOBBIE