Almost Ready to Plant

The kitchen garden area is almost ready.  We just have to wait another week or so and I’ll have all kinds of good stuff growing here!

The rebar is poked down into the ground.

The PVC pipe is over the rebar (not so sure I understand the reasoning for all this but . . I don’t ask questions).  Someone really should clean off that sidewalk, don’t you think?

Then he put up chicken wire along the bottom.  We’re going to call that rabbit wire though because it’s to keep the rabbits out.   The fencing we’re using for the deer is plastic and the rabbits will chew right through that.  Yummy lettuce!  🙁

Ahhh . . look at that fence!  We think the deer won’t jump it because it’s so close to the house.  We hear they have a depth perception problem and won’t jump into spaces that are narrower than 6 or 7 feet.  If they jump in, well . . let’s just hope that doesn’t happen!  Vince still has to put something under the edges of the steps and deck to keep the rabbits out but it’s so close to being done!

Don’t you think he did a great job?

Comments

Katie says

Will you send your hubby my way when he’s done? You should see the pathetic fence attempt mine made a few years ago. You’ve definitely got a “good one”!

Is the “upper level” for the herbs? And are you going to put down some type of walkway (hay path?) to keep your feet less muddy?

Next, the soaker hose for watering, trellis for the veggies and a compost bin!

It’s looking good. And the pipe does look better than the rebar and will be less tearing on the netting/plastic.

Kathy in FL says

Vince did a great job! I love that fence, especially the gate! How clever to use rebar and then cover it with PVC to make it look pretty. I’m going to have to remember that trick for my next fence that doesn’t have to be chain link.

You know Judy, Vince may be slower than molasses, but when he gets around to it, by golly he does you up proud!

Marigolds are a great (and pretty) garden border and keep the bunnies out. Rabbits don’t care for the smell of marigolds (which means they must be scented) and usually don’t push through them. Marigolds are also relatively easy to plant and maintain and are relatively inexpensive. Just a thought! 🙂

Lovely fence. Be sure you leave a path through the garden for the meter reader and you’ll be golden……or does your meter reader have really good eyes?

He did a great job. By the way if you would like to add a groundhog to your animals, it’s yours. Just come catch it. lol

I think it looks great!!!! I would imagine the pvc is to keep you from looking at the rebar because it rusts? I assume you will have a gate to get into it through?

Bon says

He did a great job. Can’t wait to see pictures of your produce in about 2 months.

Peggy says

Vince did a great job. Someone planned a nice curve sidewalk to make the garden area interesting. I do hope you keep us up to date with the garden…..Oh I know you will.

Diane says

Good job Vince!! Don’t you need a vaction here in sunny Florida? I want to put in some flower beds behind my lanai so I don’t have to see the gators…they make me scared. 🙁

carol c says

central texas can sure use a guy like that!

wow Vince, you would be sooooo appreciated here, but

your wife cooks, I dont. You hear a big WHUMP in the

night and you know you got a deer in th emiddle of all that!

now rabbits? those little stinkers are sooooo cute, last

year or two, they just loved my tomatos on the lower branches