Mystery Cutting Instructions

Background: (4-1/4 yards)
3 – 6-1/4” strips.  Cut into 18 – 6-1/4” squares (A)
4 – 3-1/2″ strips.  Cut into 36 – 3-1/2” squares (C)
7 – 2” strips (E)
3 – 1-1/2” strips (H)
6 – 3” strips (I)
4 – 3-1/2” strips.  (K)
4 – 3-1/2” strips.  Cut into 68 – 2” x 3-1/2” rectangles (M)
9 – 3-1/2” strips.  Cut into 68 – 3-1/2” x 5” rectangles (N)
9 – 1-1/2” strips (Border #2)

Medium Accent: (1-1/2 yards)
3 – 3” strips (G)
6 – 1-1/2” strips (J)
2 – 3-1/2″ strips.  Cut into 17 – 3-1/2″ squares (O)
3 – 5-1/2″ strips.  Cut into 72 – 1-1/2″ x 5-1/2″ rectangles (Q)

Dark Accent: (2 yards)
7 – 2” strips (F)
4 – 2” strips (L)
8 – 2-1/2” strips (Border #1)
9 – 3-1/2” strips (Border #3)

Colored Fabrics:

For each block, use the same fabric within the block.  For each block, you will need the following, which equals one set.  You need a total of 18 sets.  It could be 18 different colors (one color per set); or 6 different colors so you have 3 sets per color; or you could use 9 different colors and have 2 sets per color:
4 – 3-3/8” squares (B)
2 – 3-1/2” squares (D)

Comments

Cindy From California says

Ok. Here is the part that makes a mystery quilt so hard for me. Should the “background” fabric be white? or black? Since I can’t “visuliaze it”, I don’t know where to go!!

• 2.1

All you need to worry about (it’s a mystery!) is whether your colors all show up against each other. I used a white background but you surely don’t have to.

Cindy From California says

I can’t recall if you told us the finished size of each block…since I am not going to make it as big as yours, I am going to try to “wing it” and just go by the # of blocks I’ll need to make. If I know the finished size of the blocks, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Jean says

Hi Judy

guess I missed it, but do you have a finished size posted – with or without borders ???

hugs, Jean

When and how often are you posting instructions, I would like to take part but leave for a 3 week holiday on June 29th and don’t want to start if I cannot finish!
    Thanks Judy