Usually I spend Sunday afternoon getting the majority of the cooking done for the week. We had company this past weekend and with it being a holiday weekend, I just never got around to cooking. For a while I thought I might just cook each day as needed but I’m so used to doing most of the cooking at once, I went ahead and got started as soon as Vince left for work this morning.
This type cooking won’t work for everyone but if you think it might, you really should try it.
By 8 a.m. I had started cooking. Here’s what I did:
- Boiled and skinned new potatoes for potatoes with milk gravy for dinner tonight.
- Made 2 pans of Italian meatloaf. One is for tonight. One is for the freezer.
- Made 2 loaves of white bread. We’re having leftover roast beef sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and I love roast beef on white bread.
- Made chicken with artichokes and mushrooms for dinner Tuesday night.
- Made Chicken Paprikash for dinner Wednesday night. I made a double batch of sauce so all I’ll have to do next time is season and bake the chicken. The sauce is what takes a while.
- Made Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Salad for part of lunch tomorrow.
Except for opening a few cans, heating up a few things, boiling some pasta, baking potatoes, making a salad or two, and grilling steaks one night and lamb chops another night, my cooking is done all the way through next Sunday!
In just 3 hours from the time I started, everything was done and my kitchen was clean . . and I was tired!
Here’s my menu for the week and you can see how easy our meals will be for the rest of the week:
New potatoes with milk gravy
Chicken with Artichokes & Mushrooms
Grilled Lamb Chops
Twice Baked Potatoes
Dilly Sweet Carrots
Spaghetti & Meatballs
If you ever try cooking like this, my bet is you won’t ever do it any other way.