Dreamsicle Cake

This is the cake I made for my birthday and it was so good! Chad loved it and Vince said it tasted “professional” . . whatever that means!  So easy and so good.  I’ll definitely make this cake again .. maybe today to send to work with Vince tomorrow.

Ingredients:
1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1-1/4 cups orange juice
1/3 cup oil
1 (3 ounce) package orange flavored Jello
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar (I used a little more)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using eggs, orange juice, and oil. Spray 13×9″ pan with baking spray and add cake batter. Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes until cake starts to pull away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
Using a wooden chopstick (or knitting needle), poke small holes in the cake.
In a small bowl, place 1 box orange gelatin. Pour boiling water over gelatin and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add cold water and mix well. Slowly pour this mixture over the cake, making sure that the mixture gets into all the holes. Cover and chill for 2-4 hours.
In medium bowl, combine the pudding mix, milk, and vanilla and beat well. In small bowl, combine heavy cream and the powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream mixture into the pudding mixture and spread over cake. Cover and refrigerate for 4-8 hours before serving.

Comments

Melanie says

My mom made this when I was little. She iced it with whipped cream and we poked the holes with a wooden spoon. Very light and tasty.

Judy to the rescue! I need a good dessert recipe for an event coming up, and was looking for something a little different. And for a hot summer evening, this sounds delicious. Thank you!

OH Thank You, Thank You…I needed a light cake for mom’s birthday this weekend and this is it…I even have all the ingredients. I just love to come visit.

We call this a Jello poke cake. You can make almost any flavor you want. I’ve done lemon cake with lemon jello and lemon pudding in the icing, white cake with raspberry, cherry or strawberry jello, use vanilla pudding and a few drops of food coloring in the icing to tint it pink, and garnish with berries. It makes a nice light dessert and everybody always loves it!!

I’ve made the lemon and raspberry in to layer cakes too, and use a little lemon curd or raspberry jam between the layers.

I hadn’t thought of this cake in years! I used to make it with a lemon cake mix and lime jello. The frosting was dream whip with lemon pudding mix. My birthday is coming up, maybe I’ll make it! Thanks…

Marge says

We make almost the same cake. We use a yellow cake mix – poke holes in it and then pour chocolate pudding over it. We use one large box and one small box of instant pudding. The pudding goes into the holes and is also the frosting! Yummy.

Kathy B in TN says

Sounds good – except that you had to make your own birthday cake! Vince is learning to quilt – maybe next he could make you a cake!

Thank you for this recipe Judy. I make a similar cake except the topping calls for Dream Whip in the topping. I have been wanting to come up with an alternative for the DW. Thanks.
    GingerQuilter

That sounds so yummy Judy. I know this is virtually sacrilegious for a quilter, but I’m so tired of chocolate, I could cry. That sounds like just the right amount of sweetness, tartness, and creamy goodness. Glad you had a good birthday. The raccoons around here have kidnapped my Vincent (my cat). I’m so sad.

My old college roommate made a similar cake but she made the cake from scratch and it is FABULOUS! If I can dig out the recipe I will email it to you. She called it Refrigerator Cake. Thanks for bringing that memory back!!

Evelyn says

I always make my own birthday cake too! That way – I get exactly what I want and I like my own cooking better than store-bought. Glad you all enjoyed your cake! And I got a good laugh out of Vince’s “professional” comment, whatever that means indeed! Men speak a different language sometimes! Cheers! Evelyn

I make this same cake, but a lower calorie version –

Dreamsicle Cake -3 points (if you’re a WW’er)

-for cake-
    1 Duncan Heinz Classic White cake mix
    2 egg whites
    1 can diet orange soda (Slice, Sunkist, etc.)-

for filling-
    1 sm. pkg. orange flavor sugar free Jello
    1 cup hot water
    1 cup cold water

-for frosting-
    1 sm. pkg. orange flavor sugar free Jello
    1 sm. pkg. INSTANT fat free, sugar free vanilla pudding
    1 cup 2% milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    8 oz. tub Cool Whip Free topping

Just egg whites and diet soda and bake as usual. My kids love it.

I’ve got to honestly say I follow your blog as much for the food inspiration as the quilts!

Tried this one this weekend and it was really a hit with the hubby and sons. Very light, this definitely gets added to the recipe box. Thanks for posting it!