A Big One and a Little One

Here’s my egg basket.  Those chickens fill it up faster than I can use or give away the eggs.

Notice there’s a giant egg and a tiny little egg right next to each other?  Here the are by themselves.

The big egg weighed almost 4 ounces.  That’s huge for an egg.  Large eggs usually weight about 2.7 or 2.8 ounces.  I didn’t weigh the little egg but it’s tiny!  I know what they’re called .. don’t say it!

Here they are cracked in a bowl . .

Big difference, huh?  The little egg just wasn’t right.  The yolk wasn’t formed very well.  I dumped it .. all that work for nothing.  Sorry whichever chicken laid that egg.

The big egg . . I’m sure it was Ruby because . . .

She left me a flower on the end!  Such a sweet and thoughtful girl she is!  🙂

Comments

Sandy Gail (Sandra Neel Hutchins) says

My mom used to slightly beat eggs, add a tiny bit of water and freeze them in small portions to use in baking. Her chickens didn’t lay much in the winter and this way she had the frozen eggs as back up. But since your chickens have a heated house you likely get eggs all winter and don’t need any frozen ones!

Do you throw you egg shells back in their pen? They will scratch and eat them. They will also like the small egg (especially the yoke) that you have. They’ll eat ANYTHING!

you should have seen the tiny (won’t say the word!) egg I got once when I had quail! Now THAT was a tiny egg! hehe 🙂 I miss having fresh chicken eggs though. I have to get hubby to help build a coop so I can have them again 🙂

I love seeing your chickens…and your eggs! It was my job as a girl to gather the eggs from the hen house, and I really enjoyed it. We had banties…very small colorful chickens…and wonderful mothers.

Laying that big egg is just like giving birth to a 15 pound baby…..ouch….the flower is a nice touch after all the pain she went through!!!

Jane says

Okay call me a “duh” but I don’t know what the tiny egg is called!! lol I’d love to have chickens and fresh eggs but it likely won’t happen. 🙁 Oh well, I LOVE hearing about yours Judy…and that thoughtful Ruby and her ‘flower’!!! What a sweetie!!! tee hee.

Cathy Stoddard says

Ok, I’ll bite……….. What is the little egg called?????????????
    I’ll bet Ruby had a very big cackle with that egg – LOL!!!!
    Love the new “look” Judy!!!

Oh my! Do you get that many eggs every day Judy??? What in the world am I going to do with all the eggs from 19 hens???? And I don’t even eat real eggs!!!

Donna in KS says

this curious mind wants to know too….the little egg??? I think I really like the new look; we all need a makeover once in a while! I sure wish I lived closer, Judy, there is nothing like farm fresh eggs and we don’t get them often anymore. But I’m not enough of a farm girl to know what you mean about “the little egg”…..tell the innocent among the group!