Candied Jalapenos

If you don’t like HOT, you won’t like these.  But if you like HOT, you’ll love them.  My favorite way to eat them is on sandwiches. They’re sweet, they’re hot and they’re pretty!

Be sure to wear gloves while cutting the peppers and don’t touch any delicate body parts!

Candied Jalapenos

• 3 pounds fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced about 1/4″ thick
  • 2 sweet onions, sliced about 1/4″ thick
  • 2 cups cider vinegar
  • 6 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped

I do not remove the seeds from the jalapenos but I slice them, then put them in a colander and rinse them, using the sprayer on my sink so it has a bit of pressure.  This rinses some, but not all of the seeds away.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, and celery seed to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 7 minutes.  Add the pepper, garlic and onions.  Once they begin to simmer again, set the timer for 5 minutes.  Once the timer goes off, using a slotted spoon, remove the peppers/onions to canning jars.  Fill to 1/2″ from top.  You should get 5 pints.

Raise the heat under the syrup and boil for 8 – 10 minutes. Pour the syrup over the peppers, to within 1/4″ of the top of the jar.  Clean the tops of the jars, and use the 2 piece lids to seal.  Process in water bath canner for 15 minutes (for pints).

Comments

Donna in KS says

I have some piecing to do today, Judy, HAVE TO DO!! But I keep coming back and checking on you. I had to send this to two of our sons; they challenge each other on “hot”. I’m sure they will have their dad putting some of these up for them, if not doing it themselves. Course, they may use the habeneros (sp) they are growing!! Thank you yet again. I have to get to my sewing machine now. I hadn’t even made it through all the DWM reports. Talk about a vicarious existence……

Lynne in Hawaii says

Looks yummy! I’ve have told my DH about the receipe. He sent out one to friends last week and we will send it to you of stuffed jalapenos he had canned.

Trish says

Just wondering. Are these crisp, like sweet pickles? I’ve had some before, tried the make them with “my own” recipe. But the were not crisp 🙁 That is what I wondered. They sound great!

Pat says

You get more done in one day than most of us get done in one week! You are amazing! Thanks for sharing your life with us…do you sleep?

• 4.1

I definitely don’t get enough sleep this time of year. Yesterday at about 4:30, I just couldn’t go any more and went to bed. Vince got home at 5:00 and couldn’t believe I was in bed. But, a 30 minute nap helped me make it through the rest of the day.

Nancy K. says

is there no salt in the peppers? Also just wondering, do you not make pickles? I’ve been trying to keep up with my cucumbers and have made what seems like tons of pickles.

• 7.1

No salt in my recipe. No, I don’t make pickles. We’re not big pickle eaters. I’ll make some green tomato pickles maybe next week but that’s about it as far as pickles.

Judy,
    What an awesome recipe. I’m going to make these for my husband for Christmas. He loves anything hot. Actually his entire family does, and they taught me to eat a few peanuts to cut the heat – really works! Thanks for sharing!