Chocolate Cake

I do not like chocolate and I do not like coffee.  This cake has both and I love it.  It’s the most requested cake around here and I love it when someone requests it because if I just make it out of the clear blue, then I’ll have to listen to Vince say “You always say you don’t like chocolate and you’re always eating chocolate!

Last week, I was in the middle of canning and it was getting late on Saturday and Vince asked for a chocolate cake.  Great! I have an excuse to stop everything and make a cake.  Since tomorrow is our anniversary, don’t you think a chocolate cake would be in order?  Yep, that’s what I think too.

When I made it last week and shared a picture on Facebook, I was complaining that the icing is the same color as my countertop so the cake hardly shows up.

This cake batter seems a little runny when you pour it in the pans and it always makes me wonder if I left something out but then I remember that last time I made it, it seemed a little runny too and it always works.  And, it’s always good and it never lasts more than a few days around here.

I’ve never had this cake turn out less than perfect and anyone who has tasted it loves it.

Chocolate Cake

Cake:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot or warm coffee

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line two round cake pans with waxed or parchment paper. Line with parchment paper.  Grease and flour the sides of the pan.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on low speed until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, continuing to mix just til everything is blended well.   Add the coffee and stir just to combine. Pour the batter into the pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  Cool in the pans for 15 – 20 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely before icing.

Icing:

6 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 sticks butter, at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Melt the chocolate in double boiler.  Allow to cool slightly.

Beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and continue beating for a couple of  minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar, then beat at medium speed, until smooth and any lumps are gone. Add the melted chocolate and mix well.  If the icing is too thick, add a little cream or milk.  If it isn’t thick enough, add a bit more powdered sugar.

Add icing to the cooled cake.

Comments

Looks really good – I may have to make this for my husband for his birthday because he loves both chocolate and coffee!

This sounds yummy. My favorite cookie is a refrigerator cookie that has chocolate, coffee crystals, and cinnamon. I’m betting I would love this cake. Thanks for sharing!

• 3.1

And I should add a p.s.: I’ve made your Dreamsicle Cake three times, had rave reviews from EVERYONE, and had multiple requests for the recipe.

Mmmmm…I make this cake for birthdays with Whoopie Pie Icing…which is a heart attack waiting to happen but soooo good!
    I just dump all the ingredients in at once and mix away…which is why I like to make it! I’m all about easy!

I found a recipe for corn and basil cakes and thought about making them. Then I realized I dont even know where to go to by fresh basil. I have never used fresh herbs. I really should get out more.

• 5.1

I saw a cake today that looked like a chocolate cake but it had basil and parmesan cheese in it! Didn’t taste it but it had a ribbon at the state fair.

That should have said “buy” not “by”. And as for the chocolate cake, I am not a stranger to that.

As a chocoholic I can assure you: it is always time for chocolate cake 🙂 On a special day like an anniversary even more so!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe – will have to try it very soon (but since my pantry looks nothing like yours, it has to wait untiI I have the ingredients in house…)

ruth anne says

Okay, I will just admit it!! You are my inspiration for the day, week, and month.

peggy says

I’m definitely not complaining because I love everything about your blog, but I’m starting to think of it more like, “In the garden with Judy.” Not so much “Patchwork times.” That would be because I wish it was me doing all this harvesting and preserving. Not. I live in a neighborhood of big houses/small lots. Life is a compromise. I guess I’ll have to live vicariously through you.

Becky R says

I’m not a chocolate lover either but then a cake made from scratch is a special treat. No wonder you got a lime green weed wacker.:)

Becky R says

Judy, you should organize a quilting cruise. I’m watching this travel channel with all these yachts so maybe that’s what brought it to mind. We all love reading your blog and it would be fine to spend a few days together. Just thinkin’.

• 13.1

Not me. I’d be a whole lot more likely to organize a retreat at a cabin on a lake in the woods. No cruise for me.

Madison says

Judy, thanks for the cake; I’ll try it.

FYI: at the end of the summer I pick all the basil that’s left & just go ahead and make the pesto. I actually freeze that pesto in ice trays as you did w/the basil. & just like you did I pop out the cubes & make more. Over the winter, I use a cube per person for pasta, soup, etc. Although I admit, it usually only lasts thru Thanksgiving. Freezing doesn’t affect the pesto that we can tell.

OH MY! Looks like I’ll be making a chocolate cake this week 😉 Thanks, Judy, for adding something else to my list of to-do’s 🙂

Thank you for the recipe. I’ve been trying to bake more cookies and cakes to avoid all the stuff that’s in the pre-made ones/mixes. Do you now that every cake mix, except the organic ones, has trans fat?

Colleen says

Thanks for the recipe .. I’m going to try it. I love reading your blog as you inspire me to want to sew, garden and cook. Usually sewing wins out over everything!

Joan says

I made this cake yesterday and it is great! So moist and flavorful! Thanks for sharing Judy.

• 19.1

That was quick. You did better than I did. Vince never made coffee and I hate to admit it but he has a fancy coffee pot and I don’t have a clue how to use it.