Sew Many Options

Before shutting off the lights in the sewing room last night, I wanted to choose the fabrics for my next quilt.  (This was after my armadillo incident but that’s a story for another time.)  Sometimes I can stand in front of my cutting table, study the fabrics for a few minutes and come up with the perfect fabrics in no time at all.  Other times . . you know what happens!  Nothing works and what does work, there’s not enough of something.  Going to a quilt shop would be so easy.  Just pull the fabrics I need, cut off what I need and . . go home and sew.  I haven’t pulled the background fabric yet but there will be an ecru added to whatever fabrics I choose.

This appeared to be the perfect grouping.

But, there’s not enough of the green.  That really is the perfect green for this project.  I have three other pieces that are almost perfect but there’s not enough of either of those either.

Another green was substituted.

Not my first choice but this green will work but . . see anything wrong with this picture?  All the fabrics except the light blue are Andover Dimples fabrics.  I don’t want to have four dimples and one non-dimple fabric.  If I had a light blue dimples, I’d just put it in there but I don’t have a light blue.

So, I substituted another dark blue for the dark blue dimples.

Is it ok to use dimples for 3 out of 5 fabrics?

I could use a different dark purple and then there would be two dimples.  But I like the other dark purple better with this group.

I think this is it . . unless you tell me you like the darker purple better.  Tell me quick though . . once I get my morning chores done, I’m going to start cutting.

I do need a bolt of every shade of dimples.

Comments

I actually do like the dark purple better, but I guess it depends on the quilt. The dark purple really pops out, so if it’s in a place where you want it to blend, it won’t work well. If it’s in an area where you would like a little more contrast, I think it would really look great.

Peggy says

I like the last picture combination, but not knowing the pattern makes picking more difficult. I really wonder about the pattern when you said the first green was perfect. Maybe it is the color coming across on my computer, but it doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Mary says

I like the lighter dark purple better. I don’t think there’s a problem using 3 dimples fabrics. They’re going to be cut in pieces anyway, and they will read as a color, not a pattern. Go for it.

No, don’t change it. I like 3 dimples and personally prefer the darker instead of the lighter green also. Can’t wait to see what yo are doing next. 🙂

Karen says

I agree with Tamera, I like the dark purple better too. I like the contrast. I’m looking forward to seeing the final result.

I like the last choice….What about just going scrappy with your green and use up the three different pieces? That’s the beauty of most scrappy quilts, they allow you to use up more because you don’t have to have the exact piece in the exact size. I’m loving the quilt a long….

Debbie says

Perhaps it is my computer but I thought the first green was yellow! I like your the combo you are thinking about, Judy. Silly me, I did not like that darker purple at all. Something about it just didn’t seem right. To me, anyway!

Dimples in every shade? Wouldn’t that require purchasing? Hmmmmm…

I’ll be waiting for the armadillo story.

I like the darker purple. . . . but this is your quilt & I’m not seeing the “real” fabrics (I never trust pictures). . . .so I could be wrong about the choice.

Whatever you decide I’m sure will be wonderful!

Have fun,

Sherry V.

Dawn says

keep the purple dimples……..dimples are nice. it doesnt matter how many dimples you have in the quilt. as long as you like the way it all looks together.
    whose gonna know? the quilt police???? LOL

Judi says

I like the last picture as well I think the darker is not the right shade of purple but then again it could be my computer since the first one looked yellow instead of green. Whatever you choose will work it’s your quilt. 🙂

I like the last or bottom fabric photo the best. Yes, one can use too much Dimples. Even if it’s about value, changing the texture/color adds dimension. Can’t wait to see the actual quilt. I like the colors.-Donita, thanks for the link.

Sandy Gail (Sandra Neel Hutchins) says

In the end it will be the contrast of colors that the eye will see, not the individual fabrics. So go with what pleases you. I like the final photo best. The dark purple just doesn’t sing with those other brights, the dimples purple sings! I can’t wait to see the finished quilt! Love your color choices.

Marie says

I, too, like the darker purple better. I think you get a better contrast with using it, compared to the lighter purple. Am looking forward to see what you come up with and your armadillo story. Those are nasty little things if you ask me. We lived in AR for almost 2 yrs and I just couldn’t stand those things, and now they are coming to MO(they have a tendency to catch a ride on semi’s) but they are still here.