Handmade Gift Ideas

Handmade or homemade . . something you put some thought, love and time into making.  Share ideas and a basic technique or link for instructions.  This can be anything from homemade jams to coasters to . . heck, anything!  Please link only to your blog post and not to your main blog.  There’s more info (and description of two giveaways) here.

Comments

I love to get ideas for hand-made gifts. Can never have too many ideas. I keep a journal of photos and instructions and refer to it often when I feel the desire to make something for someone. Thanks for this posting – I’m excited to see what folks will post.

• 2.1

Kathy B in TN says

Sally – I tried your link – got all tangled up with Google trying to make me sign up/in?

While i do a lot of home made gifts, my favourite is time. (Well, it would be;) )

Time spent with someone who is down. Time spent with someone who is ill – maybe that is just sitting, maybe that is the shopping. Time spent with the baby so mum can get a few magic hours of sleep, or a coffee with her friends, or just a shower (remember new ones? Heck, remember toddlers?) Time with someone lonely and old. Or lonely and young.

Sounds so easy. Too simple a gift. Cannot be wrapped. Cannot be quantified, measured, or given it’s own howto. It isn’t pretty like a quilt. Or tasty like jam.

But it is increasingly rare and precious. People know ow HARD it is to find time. So it is the gift i am most grateful to get, and the gift i try to always make time to give;)

Not being preachy or anything — i am the least likely to do that, trust me. It just has struck me so often how much people value it…

Now, back to the practical goodies, i have notes to make here!

Mary says

I love to bake and often make goodies I just bring in to work. I’ve shared a recipe for caramel corn that is really good. I’m looking forward to seeing what others do.

I am at my sewing retreat, so I hope it’s ok that I linked to an older post. My gift idea is perfect for teachers, the mailman(lady) and neighbors. Quick, easy and great to drink on those cold winter mornings…

I make lots of homemade gifts. My link is for a fast, fun magnetic bookmark that uses scraps and works really well. It can be personalized with fabric that suits the recipient. Can be tucked into a gift book or with a bookstore gift card or makes a nice stocking stuffer. These are so fast to make, they would also make a good fund raising project.

Only 72 days until Christmas! I think every crafter/knitter/quilter starts the season with good intentions, but my mom is the only one who ever gets a handmade gift.
    Thanks for the Mr. Linky. Hopefully a few more of my loved ones will enjoy handmade gifts this year!

I followed Mary’s lead with the chinese food boxes ..but I put homemade turtles in mine. They take longer to shop for and unwrap the rolo candies, than they do to make! I need to hustle them out the door…or I eat them!

Great ideas!! Thanks, Judy, for getting them all grouped in one place with the links!!! Keep them coming!! With children and grandchildren, there are 43 people to gift for!!!

I don’t like shopping, I love crafting, so gifts from me are always handcrafted in some way. Last year was the felt coasters. I also like to mass produce so I try to come up with something anyone can use. Useful gifts, has to be useful and something I would enjoy receiving. I make one for us each year too. I keep a log so I can remember what I have made each year and who received it.

What a great idea for us all! I loved seeing the creativity and love in each person’s blog. Particularly loved Lynn Dykstra’s post (#20)

This is great! I am enjoying each one of them. I love receiving and giving homemade gifts. We especially cherished all of the Barbie Doll Clothes my grandmother made for us — all the neighbors were green with envy. I really need to go to bed, but I just have to visit a few more. Take Care.