Nothing excites me like something for the kitchen. Fabric used to excite me. Then yarn packages were so fun to open. Mostly now, it’s stuff for the kitchen. I’m always excited to get a box from Penzey’s Spices.
Most of the little jars are empty . . just for storing spices and herbs I’ve grown. This order was a kinda weird one for me. I got:
- Mahlab – Don’t ask me why I got that. I don’t even know what to do with it but every time I order from Penzey’s, I try to order something new and different to try. This time, it was Mahlab . . whatever the heck that is.
- Sumac Berries – They’re actually ground and I’ve never used them before but I’ve seen several recipes lately that called for Sumac. Now I have some. Can I find those recipes again?
- Mural of Flavor – Never used this either but it looked interesting on the web page.
- Green Goddess Dressing Mix – this is so good on salads and sandwiches. It’s easy to make just a little and I like that.
- Sandwich Sprinkle – I like this for sprinkling on bread cubes to make seasoned croutons.
- Breakfast Sausage Mix – I can get the butcher in KS to grind me some lean pork and I’ll make our own breakfast sausage.
- Italian Sausage Mix – Same thing with the ground pork. We love Italian sausage and use a lot of it.
- Horseradish Powder – This makes the best horseradish cream for prime rib or roast beef
I need to find a recipe for my Sumac and Mahlab . . not in the same dish probably!
Any suggestions for recipes using either of those spices?