Blackberry Wine Cake

Cake Ingredients:

1 – package white cake mix
4 eggs
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup blackberry wine
6 oz. jello – blackberry (Jello used to make a blackberry flavor but they stopped.  Now I use either Blackberry Fusion or Black Cherry.  Mom finds Blackberry gelatin at one of the dollar stores in Louisiana.  I haven’t looked for it around here.)
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured Bundt type pan.  Bake at 350 til a toothpick/cake tester comes out clean – 45 – 50 minutes.

Let cake sit in pan for 5 minutes and then remove from pan.  While the cake is still warm, poke holes in it (I use a bamboo skewer) and slowly pour glaze over cake.   It will probably all run off but will be absorbed by the cake in just a few minutes.

Glaze:

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup blackberry wine
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Boil the blackberry wine and powdered sugar til it thickens just a bit — maybe 3 – 5 minutes.  It should still be a glaze and not a syrup.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

Comments

Denise says

I remember that cake – you made it at the cabin and it was delicious (until the ants found the last of it – they apparently loved it too). Yummmm pass a slice please. 🙂

Sandra Neel Hutchins says

I used to make Blackberry Wine cake for Christmas. Royal Gelatin came in blackberry flavor. I haven’t made the cake in a few years, so I don’t know if Royal Gelatin still is on the market. Your cake is beautiful!

Elaine says

Um, Judy, can you define “stir until thick” for me? I seem to have a bit of trouble with that direction……

Remember that time I tried to make this?

I have a lovely bundt pan just like yours. I haven’t used it in years. Time to break it out and be a Judy copy cat. Thanks for the recipe.

Pat in Washington says

Any recipe that requires the purchase of a bottle of blackberry wine is A-OK with me! 1 cup for the cake, 1 cup for me!

Judy this sounds very good. Don’t think I’ve ever noticed a Blackberry Wine, but BevMo is near. I’ll be giving this a try this weekend. Sandi