Resolutions

Ready or not, 2010 is almost history and 2011 is almost here!

Do you make New Year’s Resolutions?  Do you keep them?  I have mixed feelings about New Year’s Resolutions.  Mostly, I feel that if I don’t set goals, call them resolutions or whatever, then I kinda flounder around and don’t accomplish as much as I would otherwise.

As far as specific resolutions . . use the stash, lose weight, keep the house neater . . those are just ongoing goals so I don’t even count them as resolutions per se.  Throughout the year I’m asked how I get so much done.  As I’ve written here before, one thought that is always in my head is that once every minute or every hour or every day is gone, it’s gone forever.  If I don’t use my minutes and hours and days to the best of my ability, then those time frames are lost, and that’s time I’ll never regain.  So, I try to make every minute count!  I am not a tv watcher.  If you are, that’s ok . . I don’t have a problem with it if you don’t.  But, for me, sitting and watching tv or being entertained is a waste of time.  If I spend 2 hours sitting watching a movie, that’s 2 hours I could have been accomplishing something and that’s 2 hours I will never get back.  If sitting and watching tv was relaxing for me and if I needed to relax, I’d sit and watch tv  . . but that’s just not how I operate.  To some, sitting and knitting a pair of socks when you can buy them at Wal-Mart for $2 (or however much they cost these days) is a waste of time.  We all have to decide what’s the best use of our time and not judge others for how they use their time.

My life is good!  Most of the time I have no stress.  I have few worries . . in fact, if I had to think of something that I worry about, I couldn’t even think of anything.  It’s real easy to enjoy every minute of my day when I have so few problems.  I am blessed .. I know that!

For the New Year, my goals/resolutions are:

• To make every minute count and to use my time wisely.
  • I have to learn to get to bed earlier because I’m a night owl but I know I’m more productive if I get to bed early and get up early, after having a good night’s rest.
  • To find joy in everything!  No matter what happens, there’s always some good.  It may be hard to see and I may have to look hard to find it but it’s always there.  Life is just too short and I don’t want to be sad, depressed or worried (I know . . no one does!) and I’m going to make an effort to not only have joy in my life but to spread the joy to those I meet during the day.

How do you feel about resolutions?  If you make them, do you have any you want to share?

Comments

Audrey says

I rarely make resolutions at this time of year because I find it hard to be realistic about them. It becomes a list of an impossible size. Then I spend the rest of the year feeling guilty because I haven’t kept them. Now I set goals throughout the year. I keep a list of household or quilting tasks that I want to do and set an approximate timetable for doing them. I don’t always keep to the schedule but at least I don’t feel guilty if I don’t get everything done on time. Guilt is counterproductive.

Having said that I rarely make resolutions, I do have one this year. Use my time wisely. I’m getting ‘scarily’ older and don’t have time to waste.

Happy New Year

Audrey

Your #1 and #3 are on my list. I usually go to bed fairly early since I’m working still. Mainly I just want to sew this year and be happy!

I don’t make resolutions, for me that’s just asking for failure, to actually write it down or utter it aloud. I do have a couple “personal goals” to accomplish, one is quite a big thing. I just do a little every day towards it, doesn’t matter what the date is. Might take 2 mos, or 12, or 3 years, but I’ll do it.

Mary Beth says

When I make a resolution and break them, I feel like a failure and I don’t like that feeling. I have enough trouble on a daily basis! I have goals. They are easier. Like you, I plan to find joy in everything. Life is too short to be negative. I have lost 35ish pounds this year, my goal is to lose 25 more to get me to where I need to be in my healthy weight range. I also want to run a 5K. This year I seriously begin to train for that. It’s going to be a great year!!

I use to make them but then I made a resolution to never make another resolution for as long as I live as like Mary Beth I would break them. I have yet to break that resolution so I am doing good. I do have goals however and that is what I can strive for 🙂

I don’t make resolutions – I set goals that I want to meet. Each morning I plan my day – three things that I have to do and when they are done I can go to the sewing room or knit. I am not a TV watcher – I do sit with my DH while he watches, but I am always doing some type of handwork or knitting. I rest in the afternoon and usually take my iPad with me – if I fall asleep fine, if not, I have enjoyed my reading time. I have to lose more weight this coming year – and I need to walk more. I have a very hard time learning how to take care of myself! Happy New Year to all!!!!

I used to make resolutions, but realized they were too strict and thus, unattainable. I’ve now consider my New Year’s thoughts as “guidelines” for the upcoming year.

I’m still working on my “11 for 2011” post – it is basically written and is scheduled to post tomorrow. Then, during the year, I’ll try to post how I dealt with that guideline – what I’ve done and my plans.

But, here is one guideline that I read in the newspaper and it is just wonderful –
    “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good”.

Kathy S. says

I don’t make resolutions either, just not worth the stress! I now set goals and can change them as I go. I to try to plan out my day before I start what needs to be done for the day. Then I can have the rest of the day to work on sewing or whatever I have planned for the day. Sometimes this doesn’t work the way I planned when DH is home though. He has to be in constant motion, except when the game is on(pick a sport). I watch tv with him a few nights a week, maybe 6 hours total for the week. I like the idea of a nap during the afternoon, I may give that a try. Maybe that would increase my productivity in the evening. I hope that the new year is better than the last for everyone!

Karla says

I quit making resolutions because it just sets me up for failure. I work better without that hanging over my head 🙂

No resolutions here and not many goals at this point either. I’m not sure how 2011 snuck up on me so fast but I’m definitely not ready for it.

After this weekend’s trip to Vegas, I won’t be traveling in January so I plan on having a binding/quilting marathon …. that’s as far as I’ve gotten when it comes to thinking about 2011.

Hope you have some fun plans for New Year’s Eve!

All the usual goals, of course, including nutrition, weight loss, exercise and completion of quilting UFOs. I guess the only new one is to complete my hand made Christmas gifts earlier in the year, to make a larger stash of them, and to try some different ones. Oh, yes, also to finally finish my first complete pair of knitted socks. Happy New Year to all!

Those are worthy resolutions. Actually they are more a lifestyle goal! I like them!
    I guess if I had to make one it would be to keep after our business paperwork…which seems to grow every year.
    I’m not a big fan of TV but if I am sleepy and need a quick nap, all I need to do is turn on the tv and let it do it’s magic! Puts me right out! If I got to bed earlier, this probably wouldn’t be an issue…

Darlene S says

Judy, I really don’t make resolutions either, but try to set a few goals to accomplish. One of my goals is to make my socks. I may have to start again, this time on circular needles. It’s too slow going on 4 dpn. It will be 2014 before I get them finished at this rate! I should also do the earlier to bed, eat more healthy and walk more each day. I’m hoping for a healthy and happy 2011 for you, me and everyone who reads this. Thanks Dar

Wendy from South Australia says

I don’t usually stick to resolutions or even make them, but getting through the UFO Challenge will be what I am aiming for! Happy New Year to all from South Australia.

Joan says

I do not make resolutions. When I used to make them, it made me feel horrible when I broke them in a few months. I’m sort of like you, I try to keep a regular schedule. I can’t stand to watch TV for long without something productive in my hands. When DH wants to watch a movie and thinks its just nice of me to watch it with him. I have some type of hand work in my hands. This used to bother him, but I said I can hear whats happening and can keep up by just glancing up now and then to keep track of the characters. Oh yes, its probably an old western too–grin.
    Its in bed by 10:15 (do have to watch the weather forecast) Up around 5 AM. That’s when my mind is fresh and I get most of my design problems worked out, early in the AM. Then I check your blog and Quilting Boards. Get shoes on and go walk for about 45 minutes. Back for breakfast and then on to whatever project I have waiting.
    I really had to laugh about your hubby drawing yellow. For years I could not stand to use YELLOW!!! Then I drew yellow in the one guild challenge, in the other club I belong to, drew yellow/blue. Then Animas proof of my book came, would you believe, the cover was YELLOW!! Now I can add yellow without feeling ill. grin. I have to many obligations to join in this one, but will be anxious to see what everyone else does.
    Have a good day, its snowing lightly here this morning. Looks beautiful against the lights across the street. Weather person said up to 12″ today, but from the map I think a lot of it may miss us.

ruth anne shorter says

What a great outlook!! I so agree with all of it. And if I do have some trouble along the way, I am going to choose to be joyful no matter what!

I don’t make new years resolution, my opinion is why not do it right away when you want to change something instead of waiting for a new year? The ongoing resolutions I do have are: not netto additions to my stash (replacement is allright), and use more of it. Think twice and wait at least 24 hours before buying stuff. Think twice before saying something and act understanding to people who say things I think are stupid (they might not be, but I think it) especially about the environment, global warming and such and at least try to avoid an argument.
    (The last resolution is the hardest, the other ones I am sure I can do)