Organization!

Do you ever have a thought that starts running through your head and finally, no matter what you’re doing, you just give in and go take care of the issue?  Yesterday I kept thinking . . I haven’t seen the receipt for the Bernina 430 I bought this year and I’m going to need that for my taxes.  Don’t ask me why the sewing machine was the only thing I was thinking about because I probably can’t find any receipts.  The last time I saw the receipt, it was on the downstairs bar.  It was there for weeks, probably months.  Every time Vince would come downstairs, I’d stick it somewhere else because . . well, it’s not that I didn’t tell the whole truth about what I paid for the machine but it’s more like . . he never asked the right question that would have involved me telling him the exact dollar amount.  And, besides . . once I had already bought it, what difference did it make how much it cost, right?  I surely could have spent more on a different machine!

Anyway, I began looking for that receipt.  I’m such a slob!  Really!  I found volumes of paper — other receipts.

Volumes of paper that I had printed off knitting patterns.

That stack is about 2″ thick.  The Traveling Woman shawl pattern is on top and I’m going to make it some day.  I even started it once but decided I didn’t like the yarn I was using.

I found pantos in a bag I didn’t even know I had purchased.

I found our insurance policy on the vehicles from 2009.  I guess, since it’s now 2011, I don’t even need to save that!

I found recipes . . so many recipes that I could make a different dish every day for the next year!  Vince came downstairs and asked what I was doing . . nothing! I surely don’t need a lecture from him about keeping myself organized.  Or, maybe I do!  After about an hour of digging and going though stuff, I thought . .  I haven’t seen the owner’s manual or anything related to that sewing machine!  Maybe I made a file and put everything where it’s supposed to be. Doesn’t sound like something I would do but I went and checked the filing cabinet . .

Yep, that’s where it was.  Receipt in the folder!  Who would ever have thought to look there?

Comments

Hmmmm. I know the feeling. However, last night I *did* take quite a few of the knitting patterns I’ve printed and put them in page protectors and 3-ring binder. Usually I just save them on my computer and don’t print until I’m ready to make some choices. At least the printed ones are where I can be inspired to actually begin something lovely–although I do need to finish the pairs of socks I have started–it’s pretty cold here!

Marina Louw says

I am exactly the same and cause myself the same stress because I pile the paperwork up until it falls over and often can’t find important things. My excuse is that I scratch around in other peoples’ paperwork doing my day job and that I don’t want to do the same at night when I am not at the office. I do file the patterns that I print out every few days, I should realy do the same with the receipts etc!

Funny! Anything I’m looking for is always in the very last spot I think of to look. Why can’t I check that spot first??? Sure would save a lot of time and aggravation.

LOL!!! I’m very organized (sometimes to a fault!)and was so happy when you found your folder. See how easy that was, Judy! I’m still LOL!

I clip recipes all the time. Always have. If I had a nickel for every recipe (in my recipe drawer, my recipe file or my recipe PILE) I have NOT made, I’d be able to hike a full-time chef!

Glad you found your receipt!

I know exactly what you are talking about! My husband casually mentioned yesterday that it was time to get 1099’s out to his subs and I know I need to leave the sewing room and go through stuff……it’s all in the roll top desk….most of it is done as he builds houses but I will still need a day to get everything organized. I was organizing in my sewing room the other day but now I have to go through the piles of printed patterns and such. Good luck!

DebrafromMD says

Paper work is not something I struggle with; I’m definitely left-brained and organization comes easily for me. Now housework on the other hand is not a priority for me. I can overlook dust a lot easier than unfilled papers.

Terri says

ugh my paperwork at home has gotten out of control. I spend all day dealing with PAPER (I do the books/office work/safety stuff for our business) that I just can’t make myself deal with it at home. So I’ve got stuff scattered everywhere! That was my goal last year and I did pretty good until it got warm lol. Oh well try again this year……

Judy, you are so funny! I think that’s why we like to read your posts – because you are the ultimate housewife. We all admire you, and wish we were like you.

pdudgeon says

LOL, isn’t it amazing when you find something right where it’s supposed to be?
    the good fairies must have been working overtime that day.

I never kept up with filing when I used a file cabinet. Then my neighbor shared his wonderful method of storing receipts and manuals. He uses binders with sheet protectors. A different binder labeled for each category you need. I have a shelf of them and it is now simple to find the papers I need.

Evelyn says

Quick – make a copy and keep the copy in the file. Always good when you can find your paperwork. Cheers! Evelyn

Until our move to Minneapolis I was very well organized with my files. I blame it on the fact that I open mail upstairs and my files are downstairs … and that I had to get rid of my filing cabinets with the last move.

Maybe I’ll get a small one and put it in the kitchen where I open mail – then I could file things as they come in.

Judy, you crack me up but it sounds oh so familiar. One trick I figured out a long time ago and it actually seems to work for me is I staple the recipe to the inside of the owners manual. I can usually find it. 🙂

Karen Langseth says

I feel your pain when it comes to paperwork…..aren’t we supposed to be a paperless society…..I personally hate file cabinets….with 3 businesses here I was filling up the file cabinets during the year only too have to empty them at the end of the year….so now each business has a box that I just file it away in the box each month….then after the taxes are done the box gets put with the rest of the years in the storage area……works for me.

Rusty Miller says

There is a computer program that is free called Evernote. Just google evernote and read about it on their website. It has changed my life.
    Rusty

Great story! And about one of my receipts: the receipt of my old machine is still in the files at my ex boyfriends house 🙂 we are seperated for 10 years now! I do want it back someday so I can look up when I actually started quilting! It was just after buying that machine. I hope he still has it.