Scarf Progress

Making the cables is fun but it’s hard to count stitches, follow the pattern and be sure I’m putting the right things where they go while trying to carry on a conversation.  Mostly I’m pretending to be listening.  Do you ever do that?  Then Vince or Chad will say “What do you think?” and I am usually safe to say “I dunno!” but after a few questions, they figure out that I’m not paying attention and then they’ll ask me something like “Do you want to go to the movies?” and when I say “I dunno!” . . GOTCHA!  (For those who don’t know — I terribly dislike going to the movies.)

The pattern, Hollygrove Scarf, isn’t hard at all but there are 6 different cable stitch sequences, some leaning left, some leaning right, some short cables, some wider.  I meant to ask Vince eat lunch for some colored highlighters and then I’d pair up the instructions with the stitch sequence instructions and make it easier on myself but I forgot to ask him.

Actually, I had gotten this far last night and then realized that the very bottom cable on the far left wasn’t right.  Briefly, I thought I could live with it but knew I couldn’t and ripped it all out last night before going to bed and started over this morning.  Now I’m back to where I was last night.  Isn’t it pretty?

The yarn is Madelinetosh Vintage and I love this yarn!  It’s a worsted weight 100% superwash wool, very tightly twisted — almost reminds me of a chenille strip.  It feels great and gives such good definition to the cables since there’s no fuzziness to it at all.  Love it!

Comments

peggy says

When I started knitting again (at the beginner + level), my husband said it was good because knitting is portable. A bit later, he noticed that, even though I was in the same room, I wasn’t hanging on his every word. And, a bit after that, he noticed how often I was unknitting. That was when he suggested going back to quilting. I’m determined to be a multi tasker here!

Missy says

It’s beautiful Judy! I love the way cables look. It seems every pattern I like lately has cables in it, but I don’t know how to do them. I really need to learn. I love the color you chose. Can’t wait to see the finished scarf.

It’s going to be gorgeous. I’m not afraid to admit I’m terrified of cables. I tried once with a dishcloth pattern and decided I needed to be more experienced with reading a pattern. Haven’t tried again. 😉
    The other day I went to see a movie for the first time since Mrs Doubtfire was in the theater. It’s been a while. 🙂

LOVE IT Judy!!! I have that pattern am petrified to try cables have not done cables in 30 years! You are so talented….are you using the size 6 needles? you must have done cables recently they are so pretty!

Too funny! I am reading Elizabeth Zimmerman’s “Knitting Without Tears” and at one point she said as a newbie knitter she noticed an error at the beginning of the cable and so she dropped the stitches for *that* cable and frogged only that section back and then reknit it. She said that was the way she did it the first time; the next time she snipped the yarn right above the error, knit the error, reknit and then wove the ends in. Whew! Either way would have been horrific to do and I probably would have done exactly what you did to fix the problem.

Gwen says

Beautiful scarf! I looked at the pattern after you posted it. What size is the finished scarf? That color is such a beautiful red and I have a new red purse! I haven’t done cables in many, many years so would really have to concentrate. Wouldn’t have a scarf this winter! LOL!

Darlene S says

Your scarf is absolutely beautiful. But how can anything with such a great color not be?? It looks like it is about 8″ wide?? You are such a talented lady! Dar

I agree. It’s beautiful and I’m guessing you’ll decide it was worth all the hard work. You might consider using stitch markers to break up stitches into the different pattern areas; sometimes that makes it easier to keep track of where you are and quicker to learn the individual pattern segments.

Your scarf is looking great! I just got some Tosh Vintage to see what it’s like.

I want to cast on the Winter Wonder cowl this weekend. I’m thinking of using Tosh MCN 80/10/10.

That scarf really is luscious………
    Great pattern too………….. But I must resist and finish a few other things first.