Roast Beef in the Pressure Cooker

We love steak/roast and gravy with rice or mashed potatoes.  It’s a toss up around here because we all love rice and we all love mashed potatoes.  Basically, we all love anything and everything!  🙂

My favorite roast is a chuck roast.  Usually I will cook a pretty big roast and have leftovers for sandwiches or shredded for enchiladas.  But last week at the grocery store I found this cute little roast for about $6. It will be just right for dinner and we should have enough leftovers for sandwiches for lunch.  I seasoned it with Lawry’s Salt, black pepper and Penzeys Mural of Flavor.  I’m loving that spice!

A little oil was added to the pot and the roast was browned.

Then I added onions, garlic, a couple of chili peppers (after I was tired of dealing with all my chili peppers during the summer, I stuck about 4 quarts of them in ziplock bags in the freezer), and some dried bell peppers (from the summer when they were cheap).

Then I added maybe 3 or 4 cups of water.  I always forget to measure!

The roast was cooked under high pressure for about 15 minutes.  If it had been a larger roast, I would have cooked it 20 or 25 minutes. I dumped it into a more shallow pan so you could see all that yummy gravy!  That’s just how it came out of the pot . . nothing done to thicken the gravy . . that’s just how it cooked.

I  never get a gravy like that when I cook in the crockpot.  Maybe it’s just me.  Can I wait til dinner time before I dig in?

Comments

Sandra Neel Hutchins says

Looks soooo delicious!! Question: Do you remove the fat from the juices and do you thicken the gravy?

Terri says

oh my that looks sooooo good! And in 15 minutes? Amazing! I’m going to order a pressure cooker today! Keep the recipes coming 🙂

Looks good – did you see that Pioneer Woman/Tasty Kitchen blog had a recipe for making stock in a pressure cooker?

That sure looks good Judy! You are making me want to buy a pressure cooker just to make a roast like that! We have a new Penzy spice shop in town now. I’m going to have to make a trip over the shop to get some Mural of Flavor you mention. I love their pepper too! I used to order some of their spices online.

pat says

Your roast looks good I’m comming for supper if I started today I would probably be there in a week.

I wish I could get that seasoning here.

I love your quilts too they are very pretty.

Rose says

Since you prepared the roast early in the morning, do you keep it warm all day or just reheat at dinner time? I am used to cooking roasts later in the day so the meat will get done by dinner time. Guess I could give early morning cooking a try–never thought to do that. When I was still employed early morning cooking was not an option, so never gave it a thought.

Darlene S says

OK Judy, Where did you buy your pressure cooker? I think I am going to get one too. I have the old old fashion type and I’m not comfortable that it won’t explode. It hasn’t been used for at least 5 years!. That roast looks great. Dar

I just ordered myself my first pressure cooker!! I was totally inspired by your roast beef!!mmmmmgood! Thanks Judy!