Grocery Prices

I’m not an alarmist!  Why do I preface so many posts with that?  🙂   But, I’ve mentioned several times before about the cost of groceries going up.  When we know what’s coming and we can prepare for it, we’re not shocked and we’re not fearful.  This article was in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal.

I find myself walking down the aisles of the grocery store shaking my head in disbelief at some of the prices.  There are some frivolous things that I normally buy that I’ve passed over lately because of the cost.  It’s not that we technically can’t afford it . . it’s just that I can’t bring myself to pay the prices on some of the things I don’t need.  Asparagus was over $5/pound so it got scratched off my grocery list recently.  When Chad was in elementary and middle school, he drank tons of milk.  I feel bad for people buying milk for growing boys and girls.

This is when I’m so glad to have a pantry full of canned goods, dehydrated bell peppers, and all the other items I’ve stashed when they were on sale.

Recently our grocery store had 4 pounds of sugar for $1.49 and I stocked up.  I’ve been happy to get it when it was less than .50/pound so $1.49 for 4 pounds was a great price for our area.  I hope I have enough sugar to last me til it goes on sale again.

If you have storage space and a bit of extra cash, you can stock up on items on sale and it will help a lot during these days of high grocery prices.

Comments

pdudgeon says

you’re absolutely right. what amazes me is the price of laundry soap. now that’s something that is a staple, and yet it’s gone thru the roof lately.

• 1.1

Chris Wells says

I have started to make my own laundry detergent and love it. We have allergies to the additives and we make our ownand store it for future use. Chris. Enough for 2 months about 210 loads is only $19

• says

I make my own sometime but I also buy it when it’s on sale. By the time I buy the washing soda and ingredients to make my own, it’s often less expensive to buy it already made on sale. We don’t have any allergy issues to . . if I find it on sale, I buy it. If not, I make my own.

The produce manager at our local store said how bad the produce has become when he is able to get it. The weather has really played havoc and the cost of gas to get it to the store is almost making it cost prohibitive. We have started buying/stocking up with sale items and collecting coupons to purchase and now even the coupon resource seems to be getting scarce. I love all your posts keeping the information out front to remind us we all need to do our part.

I do that too. It helps that my hubby works in the grocery dept at a large store here and he knows the best prices and such…he also does the grocery shopping which I really appreciate not having that to do. We always have a stocked pantry as well. I also keep a running list of what I have on hand including expiration dates so I can make sure to use the older stuff in my menu rotation. It is a bit more time intensive but I love this system!

Lisa says

My 17 yo son drinks 4 gallons a week. In a week’s time, the other three of us drink maybe a quart. The average cost per gallon–$3.00!

• 4.2

I agree with Maria! Milk is so much better than soda but it’s sad that sometimes the healthier choices cost so much more. I paid $3.98 at Wal-Mart this morning for a gallon of milk.

• 4.3

We’re paying $4.39 for walmart whole milk gallon — if you want a better brand, you are in the $5 range per gallon here in New Orleans — OUCH. We love our milk!

Chris Wells says

I buy for a month at a time and always looking for sales. I don’t get the paper but the neighbor keeps me informed. I have even started to make my own laundry detergent. My kids are hooked on it. I am today stewing a chicken I bought on sale several months ago. I plan on making homemade egg noodles and freezing the portions I need for meals. I garden can and freeze plus started drying foods. Have to to survive. Chris

• 5.1

We have a little free paper that is delivered on Wednesdays and it has all the grocery ads. I try to by a Kansas City Star on Sundays just for the coupons.

I live in Brazil and I can say the same about grocery prices getting higher. The excuse here in my country is that warm wheather and summer storms cause losses. (it´s Summer now)I can´t believe professional agriculture is still vulnerable to weather changes. It´s a lie.

I´ve heard in the news again yesterday that a shortage of food is expected worldwide. I´ve got it started at home already! Should I be proud to be practicing or feel sorry this period will be longer for us in this home? Just kidding but I refuse to pay extra high prices for certain items. And we soon find out we can do without them. I suppose everyone should do the same. Maybe the prices policy would change.

In times of high level of unemployment we say “Don´t skip a working day. Your boss may notice you´re not needed.”The same goes for extra high prices on grocery products. Don´t buy them and you´ll find out you don´t really need them.
    We must no forget we are not resposible for prices going higher but we are guilty of helping them be kept that way.

I suppose everyone should do the same. Maybe the prices policy would change.

Jane says

Ha! I just happen to be taking a break from reorganizing my food storage. Things are getting pretty tight here!

Marky says

While the cost of milk is high, what is really sad is that the dairy farmer who produces the milk, often isn’t getting paid enough to cover the cost of producing it. He is operating at a loss while the middlemen are able to maintain a profit by raising their part of the cost. How is that fair? (You can probably surmise that I live in the Dairy State of WI…but I’m not a dairy farmer; just sympathetic to their plight.)

• 9.2

Chris Wells says

My son was a Dairy Farmer and had to give it up. He had to work off his farm to make ends meet. The Mega Dairy Farmers can nmake it bu the Joe out on the family farm struggles. The price is up because corn is up and fuel prices are up all trickles down sad to say.

• 9.3

That’s sad! My guess is that wheat farmers, cattle farmers and most all farmers are in that same boat. At some point, it becomes not worth it to produce milk and grain and beef and then we’re all going to be very sorry. Guess we could all buy our own milk cow! 🙂

• says

Don’t even get me started on the price of wheat and cattle. I wish we got per lb. for our beef as what a steak costs or for our wheat as what they charge for the price of a loaf of bread. The middle-people are getting rich.

It’s sad when a gallon of milk or a gallon of orange juice costs more than a gallon of gas.

trina says

I was at the grocery store the other day. The cream of soups that I use in cooking was on sale for 10 for $10. Though I had not planned to buy them that day, seemed like too much of a good deal to pass up.

Trina

I didn’t pass on the $4.99/lb asparagus last night because I really wanted it, but I did think twice. I will give up other things before I give up my fresh produce. I did tell my family to enjoy the aspargus and that there would be no stalks wasted!

patti says

judy, we are kindred spirits! i can hardly bring myself to buy anything unless it is on sale and i always stock up when the sale is really good. we just got our letter from the government saying our retirement will not increase this year as as “THE COST OF LIVING HAS NOT GONE UP”!! sure wish i could shop where they do ;0)

Sandra Neel Hutchins says

I’ve grown asparagus in about every place we have lived. All it takes is a raised bed or a row dug down really deep and loose. At our last home I bought a package of asparagus seed for seventy nine cents and planted in a raised bed. That produced tons of asparagus for us and all our friends and family. Other times I have bought the roots. Once established a bed lasts for a generation. I’ve always eaten it the next summer after planting. You have no idea how much better nice tender, home grown asparagus is than that tough stuff in the stores. It freezes well.

Linda in NE says

According the the Social Security Administration there hasn’t been an increase in the cost of living so the elderly aren’t getting their C.O.L.A.s again for another year. I wonder when was the last time any of those people went to a grocery store, or paid a gas bill or electric bill. Or paid a health insurance premium.

Cindy in NC says

What a timely post. Work began today to add storage to our laundry room. For the first time in 20 years I will have a cabinet over my washer and dryer. The opposite wall will have adjustable shelving that will serve as a pantry. I still shop sales and buy in bulk, but since the youngest of our four girls left for college I’ve gotten bad about organizing and rotating my stock. The extra shelving will help — maybe I’ll even have space to store a pressure cooker. First, I have to get over my childhood fear of this device. Of all the things we kids weren’t supposed to touch, the pressure cooker was at the top of the list.

I’m glad I’m not buying massive amounts of milk (which I find to be cheapest at Sam’s Club) anymore. We used to go through eight gallons per week. When stopped by other shoppers and asked if my family really drank that much milk my answer always was, “only if I ration it!” I’ve fed enough boyfriends to know how much teenage boys eat. Teenage girls, especially those who play sports, can also eat like field hands. Grocery-wise, I always found swimming to be the most expensive sport.

barbara says

where i live a gallon of milk at the a & p is over $4, while right next door at cosco the same gallon is $2.50. both companies buy in huge bulk, so i can’t understand it. i shopped today at shoprite at the can-can sale where all their own brand of basic canned veggies are 40 cents and the (am i allowed to say brand names?) pasta was 40 cents a pound. laundry detergent was also on sale for 63.2 cents per unit as compared to the next lowest, 1.21. i spent a small fortune, but i consider it an investment in my future, since i plan to eat for a while yet. my dh doesn’t understand why we need so much food. he thinks it regenerates itself right there on the shelf. :> he’s always amazed at how fast food gets eaten and needs to be replaced. in this house we have no yard space for our garden, so we have to buy it all.

Right now the price of sugar amazes me… I’ve been waiting for a sale recently, but must have missed the week it was on sale before the holidays.

I love your cooking posts — they always make me think!

The milk isn’t quite as pricey if you buy it two gallons a time at Costco. And you can freeze it when it’s on sale — not that there’s ever enough room in my freezer!

And I’ve finally figured out why it always seems to take more cans of tuna than I expect to have enough sandwich filling to go around — they’ve dropped from six ounces to five.

The kiddos and I were at the local grocery store earlier this week to pick up stuff for dinner. I rarely shop there because it’s so much more expensive than driving into the next town over, and the place is dirty, and the selection is awful.

Red peppers were $1.99 each, and they weren’t even that nice looking. Green peppers were on sale, but there wasn’t a single one in the produce department. So we went to check for frozen peppers and got a pound of them for the same $1.99. (If they hadn’t had frozen ones, the backup plan was to substitute grated carrots in the meat loaf filling, or just do without.)

While I was lecturing my poor daughter on comparison shopping for peppers, she spotted single servings of microwavable white rice for $1.99 each.

One of the questions the census taker asked earlier this month was whether we’d run out of money for food at any time in the past twelve months. We hadn’t. I don’t think we’ve run out of money for food at any point in the past twenty years. Had to shop with a calculator in hand to make sure I was sticking to my budget, yes. Not been able to have everything I might possibly want, and had to plan meals around what was on sale that week, yes, but we’ve always had enough.

That overpriced white rice made me wonder how other people answer the same question. I define enough to buy food as enough for everyone to have full bellies and reasonable nutrition, not enough to buy whatever overpriced gimmick the grocery store is trying to sell me.

I can’t do $5.00 a pound for asparagus, not with six mouths to feed. When it’s in season and cheap, though, we’ll eat it until we’ve had so much we’re not in the mood for more until it’s almost back in season. And we really do need to plant our own beds.

Thank goodness the chickens are laying again — the price of eggs last month was a nasty shock.

Eileen Keane says

What’s shocking the life out of me is the price of meat! Boneless pork chops? I used to buy the 3 pack for a meal. Now I go over to the bulk meat case and pick up the 4 meal pack.
    We’re trying to get used to living on a fixed income. It ain’t easy!